Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-23-06, 08:29 AM   #13
MikeMartin

Unhappy Re: PCI GeForce FX 5200 pauses repeatedly

Thanks for the moral support!

I had the feeling I was the only person who can't get this card to work! I purchased it because so many people use it, It seemed like a sure thing! I haven't been able to use the machine since!

Anyhow, I need to get this fixed up. The machine is completely disabled right now. X with the nVidia driver is completely unusable due to the pauses. I can't get the nv driver to work with the TV, and it has no other display attached. My kids keep asking to play their games ...

Where do I go from here? If the problem is specific to my enviroment, great, I'll wipe the machine clean and set up whatever environment I need. But what do I do different next time? Etch on x86 is a pretty common environment.

Could it just be a faulty card and I need to return it for a different one? How do I diagnose that? Is there some test I can run?

Anyone? I need help.

Thank! Mike
MikeMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-06, 04:36 AM   #14
knutzipferdchen

Default Re: PCI GeForce FX 5200 pauses repeatedly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMartin
Where do I go from here? If the problem is specific to my enviroment, great, I'll wipe the machine clean and set up whatever environment I need. But what do I do different next time? Etch on x86 is a pretty common environment.
The card ran with more success in an Intel-based PC, also with gentoo. But I have the feeling that this is no hardware problem but a hard-to-understand side effect of a detail in the configuration. It might be an issue with the direct memory access and/or the PCI bus.

My experience with the driver suggests that the closed source model is not the best possible kind of hardware support. Rather than trying to debug the driver I keep installing and booting all the time with little understanding of what actually happens in the driver. This is something I am used to from my former windows system but I wanted to get away from that by switching to Linux.
knutzipferdchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-06, 07:44 AM   #15
MikeMartin

Unhappy Re: PCI GeForce FX 5200 pauses repeatedly

I'm not going to open the Closed vs Open source thing here ... however I can talk function:

1. I Need acceleration. Without it, my hardware isn't powerful enough to do what it needs.
2. It must output to my TV, as there is no other display.

I have two options for drivers:

Driver A provides acceleration and TV output. It is also completely unusable due to continuous pauses. If I can debug this, I'll have a working system.
Driver B Won't output to the TV at all. I might be able to debug this, however it doesn't provide acceleration and therefore would still be unusable.

I could use a different model of card ... I've looked around and found NO other acceptable options for a PCI card with S-Video out.

I currently can not use the machine at all, and I don't see any way to fix that. That's no fun.

I'm open to suggestions. Thanks for the help.
MikeMartin
Old 11-03-06, 10:38 AM   #16
MikeMartin

Thumbs up Re: PCI GeForce FX 5200 pauses repeatedly

Thanks to everyone who tried to help.

Last night, I moved the card to the machine's other PCI slot. Everything is now functioning properly. I chalk it up to a strange hardware conflict.

Mike Martin