I am also having the same problem. My setup is

Athlon 64 X2 4800+
GA-K8N Pro-SLI (nforce 4)
GeForce 6600LE.
xorg 7.1
nvidia-drivers 8776
KDE 3.5.2
Gentoo 2006.1 (64 bit system)

Happens to me all the time (at least once a day). I occasionally will be able to get X to restart with ^-del-backspace but most of the time X will completely freeze but the mouse is still working. I don't have any way to ssh into my system but I suspect that I could get into it that way. The problem is so bad that I have been thinking of getting a terminal so that I could always have access to a console so that I could more gracefully shut things down.

I have not tried running with maxcpus=1.

I have the latest BIOS (F9) for the motherboard. I have also tried nvidia-drivers 1.0.9626 and along with other problems that it had (black screen being the worst) I also had it do this same thing once before I backed it out.
hvengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-06, 03:47 PM   #14
hvengel

Default Re: Freezes with new dual core cpu

This same issue has a thread over on the Gentoo forums and a number of users have been playing with various kernel settings in an attempt to find fixes. One user suggested that disabling NUMA might fix the problem since he had this turned off and was not having the issue. I and another person on the thread built kernels with NUMA turned off a few days ago and both of us have not had this problem since.

I used to have lock ups at least daily and usually more than once a day. It has only been two days so far so I can't say for sure if this has totally corrected the problem but I can say that there appears to be a significant improvement. Since dual core processors don't really need or use NUMA this should not have a negative effect on dual core single processor machines.

Perhaps others with this problem could try this to see if it helps.
hvengel is offline   Reply With Quote