Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-17-03, 10:45 AM   #1
cseader

Default DDC Monitors

I have one Monitor that is a Sony Trinitron 19" which uses DDC (Display Data Channel). So this Monitor gets detected with all of its settings and such. I also have another monitor which is also a Sony 21" however it does not have DDC(Display Data Channel). So Whenever i try to use Multihead with Multiple X Screens or try to use TwinView the Monitor that alwasy gets the Root Screen is always the Sony Trinitron 19" with DDC. I can never get that Root Screen to show up on my Sony 21" Monitor. Why can't i do this? I want to play games on my 21" not my 19".

Is there a way to Select which Monitor is used for the Root Screen? or is there a way in the Device Section of XF86Config to tell XFree86 which Monitor is on which Dual Head port? is there a way to specify your Dual Head ports on your Video Card? ( i have a Geforce 4 TI 4400 btw) If i could choose the ports on my Dual Head card then i think i could fix the problem with my DDC monitor being selected as the root Screen for everything.

This is real anoying ahhh!

Thanks,
Old 04-17-03, 11:15 AM   #2
cseader

well i guess for these new drivers from nvidia it uses the DVI port as the root screen or root monitor, so i moved my 21" monitor to the DVI port and put my 19" monitor on the DB15 port. It works this way. However my BIOS and everything starts from the DB15 port. Can't change that part of it. At least i have my Root Screen on the right monitor for now. I think that they should fix this in future drivers, to where u are able to select which monitor is on which port if you have a dual head video card. This can be really anoying.
Old 04-17-03, 02:16 PM   #3
Andy Mecham
l33t master

You should be able to specify this with the RightOf or LeftOf options in your XF86Config file.

--andy
Old 04-17-03, 05:13 PM   #4
cseader

Yeah that is just it you should be able too, but you can't. Seems like it is just doing DDC on the DVI port only. I'm not sure why it does this. I thought there was a command to specify a screen to output port relation on a single Graphics card, but apparently not. Would be a good idea so we can have some compatability with some old monitors that do not have DDC.
Old 04-17-03, 10:56 PM   #5
dkosovic

I have a similar problem, see this thread:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...threadid=10081

I also suspected it was a DDC/EDID problem as my primary display wasn't getting a DDC signal because of a cable I was using. But now I don't think so, as I replaced the cable and the verbose XFree86 log still has the following:
Code:
(II) NVIDIA(0): Connected display device(s): CRT-0, CRT-1
(II) NVIDIA(0): Mapping display device 0 (CRT-0) to CRTC 1
(II) NVIDIA(1): Mapping display device 1 (CRT-1) to CRTC 0
The XFree86 "nv" driver has the following option:
Quote:
Option "CrtcNumber" "integer"
nForce2, Quadro4, GeForce4 and NV30 may have two video outputs. The driver attempts to autodetect which one the monitor is connected to. In the case that autodetection picks the wrong one, this option may be used to force usage of a particular output. The options are "0" or "1". Default: autodetected.
But there is no way as far as I know with the 1.0-4349 driver to map CRT-0 to CRTC 0.

Doug.
dkosovic is offline   Reply With Quote