Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-17-03, 08:06 PM   #1
fhludlow

Unhappy nvidia module disables nforce nic

MSI 6367 nforce chipset. Bios set to plug and play OS - NO, but has no "assign irq to vga" setting of any kind. Debian woody upgraded to "testing" and kernel 2.4.20

I got all the nforce stuff squared away (tarball) and the network was working fine, and the sound module was evidently loading but no way to test sound yet. The only symptoms at all are an error at boot that is not recorded in any logs - "can't locate module usb-ohci" and also "agpgart: unsupported bridge, cannot initialize the agpgart module." I assumed it was becuase I was not yet loading the video drivers, but I'm still getting it.

The first time I did "modprobe nvidia" and started X the system hung, hard, requiring a power off. So some XFree86 stuff squared away and no more errors loading nvidia module and I start X again. Everything seems ok, but the onboard nforce NIC stops working! I can ping 127.0.0.1 and that's it. No dhcp renewal, no pinging default gateway, nothing. Also get error "i810_audio: drain_dac, dma timeout?" when the nvidia module is loaded.

If I remove nvidia from /etc/modules and reboot, the problem goes away.

Why should loading the nvidia module cause the nic to stop working? Thanks.
fhludlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-03, 12:13 AM   #2
Andy Mecham
l33t master

Are they sharing IRQs?

--andy
Old 04-18-03, 08:16 AM   #3
fhludlow

How do I tell?

I did some experiments since the drain_dac error is sound related and if the SOUND is disabled everything works ok. I think the problem is not the nvidia driver, but that when I start X the sound driver conflicts with the nic.

Sure seems like a resource conflict to me but I've never had to deal with such in linux.

How do I tell the sound or nic to use certain resources? The bios on this motherboard is useless.
fhludlow is offline   Reply With Quote