Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-17-03, 11:40 PM   #1
kim_kaphwan

Default Configuring XFree86Config file

I've installed the nvidia driver sucessfully (I confirmed that the driver was well installed by checking the nvidia log), but when I startx I get the message "glx: unknown error" and "nvidia: driver not found".

I used the unified script to install the driver (the script recompiled kernel) and I have Mandrake 8.0. My distro only uses the XFree86Config file, but I attached to this message 3 files: the XFree86Config after I modified the original, the original XFree86Config file, and the untouched XFree86Config-4 file.

X starts but the nvidia driver doesn't load. Instead, the vga compatible driver is loaded.

Note: I've already tried to modify XFree86Config-4 but my distro really doesn't use this file.

Any help? Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: zip xfree86files.zip (9.8 KB, 151 views)
kim_kaphwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-03, 12:07 AM   #2
Andy Mecham
l33t master

You need to edit your XF86Config-4 file. X will look for and use XF86Config-4, then XF86Config. You can confirm which file it's using by looking at the top of your /var/log/XFree86.0.log file.

--andy
Old 04-18-03, 12:18 AM   #3
kim_kaphwan

I haven't a file named /var/log/XFree86.0.log or something like XFree86*.log in the whole system. How can I make one of these files?

But if X uses XFreeConfig-4 file, why if I delete XFreeConfig file X won't start?

Thanks, Andy
Old 04-18-03, 12:23 AM   #4
Andy Mecham
l33t master

Do you have XFree86 3.3.6 installed? What does
Code:
XFree86 -version
print out?

--andy
Old 04-18-03, 12:23 AM   #5
kim_kaphwan

I've also already tried startx -- -logverbose 5 to generate the log file but the log file still isn't created.

Can it be in another location? I don't think so because i've used locate and find to find the log file in the whole system.
Old 04-18-03, 12:25 AM   #6
kim_kaphwan

Wait a moment. I'll reboot into linux and come back here in a few moments.
Old 04-18-03, 01:01 AM   #7
kim_kaphwan

My XFree version is XFree86-4.0.3-7mdk. I don't have the command XFree86 in the command line so i discovered this by checking the rpm used for installing it.

Now, using startx -- -logverbose 5 created a log file in /var/log (i don't know why) that I attach here. I also attached the scanpci output (this is related to the error in the log file).

I've tried to modify XFree86Config-4 and it also didn't work.
I also tried to force X to use the XFree86Config-4 file with the option -xf86config but it didn't work. I've attached the new Xfree86Config-4 file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip xfreenew.zip (5.6 KB, 141 views)
Old 04-18-03, 01:07 AM   #8
Andy Mecham
l33t master

Your XF86Config-4 file is misconfigured.

Remove the following sections:
Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier "Generic VGA"
    Driver     "vga"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  ""
    VendorName  "Unknown"
    BoardName   "Unknown"
    Driver      ""
#    VideoRam    65536
    # Clock lines

# Uncomment following option if you see a big white block        
    # instead of the cursor!                                          
    #    Option      "sw_cursor"

Option      "DPMS"
EndSection
Change
Code:
Section "Screen"
    Identifier "screen1"
    Device      ""
    Monitor     "Generic|Non-Interlaced SVGA, 1024x768 at 60 Hz, 800x600 at 72 Hz"
    DefaultColorDepth 16
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       8
        Modes       "800x600"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       16
        Modes       "800x600" "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
EndSection
to
Code:
Section "Screen"
    Identifier "screen1"
    Device      "NV AGP"
    Monitor     "Generic|Non-Interlaced SVGA, 1024x768 at 60 Hz, 800x600 at 72 Hz"
    DefaultColorDepth 24
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       8
        Modes       "800x600"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       16
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       24
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
EndSection
Your hsync and vrefresh values are probably incorrect for your monitor. You should look those up at your monitor's manufacturer's website and put them in. If you want to add higher modes than 800x600, you'll need to add them to the Modes line in your Screen's Display section.

--andy

Old 04-18-03, 09:44 AM   #9
kim_kaphwan

I've changed the XF86Config and XF86Config-4 like you sugested and it didn't work.

Now when I type startx, appears an error message saying: "Error: Unknown error loading glx" and "driver nvidia not found".
I think probably the paths where the modules are installed aren't correct. So, I modified ModulePath in XF86Config and it didn'twork.

Typing XFree86 at command prompt produces error messages relationed to the PCI BUS (attached to this message). They don't make sense, because if you see the output of lspci (also attached to this message) it appears that the PCI BUS is correctly configured in XF86Config.

My XFree version is 3.**** so it uses definitly the XF86Config file and even specifying the option --xf86config XF86Config-4 at command line it uses XF86Config (I don't know why).

I also changed my monitors hz freq and vertical freq to the appropriate values.
Both my current XF86Config and XF86Config-4 files are also attached.

Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: zip morexfree.zip (9.1 KB, 195 views)
Old 04-18-03, 09:53 AM   #10
kim_kaphwan

BTW in the previous reply I forgot to mention that my card is a Creative Geforce 4 MX 440 (maybe this should help).

A suggestion: In the future instaler releases you should allow the installer to change the Xf86Config file directly in the instalation process (it shouldn't be the user who have to modify the file). Of course, the installer should always make a backup copy of Xf86Config file and ask the user if it can modify it.
Old 04-18-03, 12:32 PM   #11
bwkaz

Quote:
Originally posted by kim_kaphwan
My XFree version is 3.****
From the README:

Quote:

o linux kernel 2.2.12 # cat /proc/version
o XFree86 4.0.1 # XFree86 -version
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-03, 02:13 PM   #12
kim_kaphwan

At the time i read the las reply I had already installed the nvidia driver sucessfully.

My problem was that I had the two versions of XFree86 (3 and 4) installed at the same time and the system was using the version 3.

So I had to go to the Mandrake Control Center ->Hardware->Display, had to select my video card (I choosed Nvidia Geforce), then choosed "expert mode" and finally choosed to use XFree version4. Then I choosed the resolution, the system proposed to make some tests but i refused (this tests don't have to work because they are using the drivers that come with Mandrake) and the I exited (choosed the quit option) the wizard.

If anyone with this problem can't still choose the correct XFree version go to http://www.littlewhitedog.com/reviews_other_00022.asp . It should help.

Finally I modified the XF86Config-4 file replacing the line "nv" for "nvidia" and added the line Load "glx" to the modules section.

This made the driver being loaded.

My XF86Config-4 file is attached to this message for people that have had the same problem. Remember that I also had to change the Screen Section (used the code provided by Andy thanks) before going to Mandrake Control Center.

So my final sugestion is: In future releases of the installer the installer should check what version of Xfree86 is installed and WHAT VERSION OF XFree86 THE SYSTEM IS USING (there can be two versions installed and system can be using version 3). The installer should suggest the user how to tell the system to use the version 4 of Xfree86 (or even if possible the installer should do it automaticaly for the user). The installer should also be able to modify the XF86Config-4 file.

Yet another suggestion: The readme file isn't very clear about the fact that there are two packages of kernel headers: the system headers and the kernel-source. The README should be much more clear about the names of the packages (one called kernel-headers and the other called kernel-source). I installed both packages.
Attached Files
File Type: zip xf86config-4.zip (1.7 KB, 155 views)