Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-18-03, 06:46 PM   #1
Jackattack

Default Uh-OH

Major problem. Its a good thing i duel boot. Ok so i got the new X thing installed 4.3.0, when it booted it showed the nvidia logo like i heard it should, and i got all excited. Then everything was gone. All i had left was the clock and a few shell windows, what happened to the start bar or all my icons. I think in the installation i did something wrong. Well i know i did something wrong but what. I knew i probely shouldn't have but i clicked yes for everything when it asked me to over right. IS that bad. Where can i go to find out what things i need to click yes on and which one no. Or should i almost always use the default answer.
Jackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-03, 06:50 PM   #2
Andy Mecham
l33t master

You overwrote your xinit files.

Create a file called .xinitrc in your home directory (yes, with a period) - in that file, put 'gnome-session' or 'startkde' (without the quotes) depending on which you want to run.

--andy
Old 04-18-03, 06:54 PM   #3
Jackattack

Wow thats really easy but you see I dont know how to create a new directory. I could with all the Windows and icons, but now i dont have them. how do i create new directories in the typing mode. You know when you type telinit 3 in the shell. I dont know whats its offically called.
Old 04-18-03, 07:08 PM   #4
zovex

Default making .xinitrc

at a command prompt type
$ echo "gnome-session" > .xinitrc

without the $ and you should be good to go if that is indeed the problem.

zovex
zovex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-03, 07:28 PM   #5
ASCI Blue

Send a message via AIM to ASCI Blue Send a message via Yahoo to ASCI Blue

you don't need to create a new dir for a home dir, it's called /home/<username> eg mine is /home/epyon any time you open a console you should already be there.

Sick of war crimes Windows? Try linux!
ASCI Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-03, 08:04 PM   #6
Jackattack

It works im in it right now. You all are crazy at this. Maybe someday I will know as much as you, but until that day comes, is there anything else I need to do to get my new X 4.3.0 working right. And how do I check to see if it is.

I have one more question. When i go into the text only part of linux "telinit 3" I can't get out with out restarting. I tried typing in telinit 5 but it only flashes the startup screen and quits. What do i do.

Also how do i know that my new driver are working properly. Is there some place to check with out screwing up everything.

Also my last question, can i change my display properties in the control center, under the display part of it. Or will that mess up more stuff. Thank you. You guys really are amazing.