Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-11-06, 07:17 PM   #1
TheBS-Linux64

Send a message via AIM to TheBS-Linux64 Send a message via Yahoo to TheBS-Linux64
Default Driver 962x and DGA issues ...

Running Fedora Core 6 here with AIGLX/Compiz.

A few weeks ago I loaded the Beta 1.0-9625/9626 drivers and discovered I had to prevent the DGA extension from loading so the Composite extension would. I used the following block to do so ...

Section "Module"
Load "extmod"
SubSection "extmod"
Option "omit xfree86-dga"
EndSubSection
Load "glx"
EndSubSection

All GLX applications worked and any program that looked for the DGA extension (e.g., Doom3/Quake4) didn't find it.

Now I've since upgraded to the release 1.0-9629 drivers. I don't need any such block for AIGLX/Compiz to work. No blocking DGA required either.

Unfortunately, now when programs attempt to load DGA and Bam! The gdm-binary respawns (because X crashed)! I caught the output from doom3 and instantly noted the point in which this occurs. I also tried a 2D program that uses DGA such as XGalaxy and I've got the same issue.

Putting in the above block in an attempt to prevent DGA from loading doesn't work either. Is the DGA extension incompatible with Composite in 1.0-9629? I assume so from the 1.0-9625/9626 drivers, but I'm now wondering why it's re-enabled? Again, DGA is loading with the 1.0-9629 drivers, and I've noted several GLX and DGA apps that cause X to crash (and gdm-binary to respawn) as a result.

If someone could explain what I'm seeing, confirm that DGA should not be loading and how I can prevent DGA from loading with 1.0-9629 -- I'd greatly appreciate it!
TheBS-Linux64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-06, 07:29 PM   #2
TheBS-Linux64

Send a message via AIM to TheBS-Linux64 Send a message via Yahoo to TheBS-Linux64
Default Re: Driver 962x and DGA issues ...

Here's the tail of the Xorg.0.log.old ... (previous session) ...

Backtrace:
0: /usr/bin/Xorg(xf86SigHandler+0x71) [0x495ff1]
1: /lib64/libc.so.6 [0x31c8430210]
2: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so(_nv001261X+0x4d) [0x2aaaac0101cd]

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11. Server aborting

Again, I'm fairly certain this is because DGA is loading with my 1.0-9629 install. I assume Composite and DGA are mutually exclusive. But I can't seem to find a way to prevent DGA from loading. Short of just removing/renaming the DGA module file -- which I should probably try now.
Old 11-11-06, 08:12 PM   #3
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

DGA support was removed from the NVIDIA driver quite a while ago. Why do you think that DGA has any connection to the problems you're reporting? Please generate and attach an nvidia-bug-report.log

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-06, 08:42 PM   #4
TheBS-Linux64

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
DGA support was removed from the NVIDIA driver quite a while ago. Why do you think that DGA has any connection to the problems your'e reporting?
Because I ran into them when originally testing the 1.0-9625/9626 drivers.
I, among others, found that we couldn't enable AIGLX/Compiz because Composite wasn't loading.
And Composite wasn't loading because DGA was loaded.
Once we prevented DGA from loading with the 1.0-9625/9626 drivers (see the previous block I posted for the exact lines in xorg.conf), we had no issues with Composite loading (and getting the AIGLX/Compiz).

So when I ran into this issue with the latest 1.0-9629 driver with Doom3, I piped stdout/stderr to a file as saw the X crash occurred when Doom3 tried to use DGA.
I was able to reproduce it with any program that attempted to use DGA.
I looked at the X logs and, sure enough, DGA is loading.

Quote:
Please generate and attach an nvidia-bug-report.log
I've attached both the stdout/stderr from xinit -logverbose 5 output and the nvidia-bug-report.log.
It was generated on a HP Pavilion dv9000z with the GeForce Go 7600.
I'm seeing the exact same issue on an Athlon x2 4200+ with the GeForce Go 7800GTX.

portatux64_xinit_verbose5.log.gz
portatux64_nvidia-bug-report.log.gz
Attached Files
File Type: gz portatux64_xinit_verbose5.log.gz (3.9 KB, 116 views)
File Type: gz portatux64_nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (25.8 KB, 93 views)
Old 11-11-06, 08:52 PM   #5
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

There's a known bug in 1.0-9629 where X will crash when certain types of mode changes occur (such as starting Doom) while using a DFP. This bug has no association with DGA, as there is no DGA support in the nvidia driver going back several versions (this is documented in the driver README as well). This bug will be resolved in the next driver release. The current workarounds are to either change to the desired mode using xrandr, or downgrade to an older driver version.

As for the Compiz/AIGLX/Composite issue, the Composite extension is enabled by default in FC6. If the Composite extension is failing to load, this suggests some other problem with your environment as you are the first person to report a problem such as this. Additionally, I'm running FC6 on the system where I'm typing this, as Composite is loaded with the 1.0-9629 driver.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 11-12-06, 01:45 PM   #6
TheBS-Linux64

Quote:
There's a known bug in 1.0-9629 where X will crash when certain types of mode changes occur (such as starting Doom) while using a DFP. This bug has no association with DGA, as there is no DGA support in the nvidia driver going back several versions (this is documented in the driver README as well). This bug will be resolved in the next driver release. The current workarounds are to either change to the desired mode using xrandr, or downgrade to an older driver version.
Okay. I guess that's the problem then. I'll try xrandr (UPDATE: it worked flawlessly). I didn't see it in the 1.0-9625/9626 Betas, so this makes sense.

BTW, I'm having no issues with Scorched 3D, UT 2004, etc... I believe I was running in different resolutions for those apps as well, but I'll have to check.

Quote:
As for the Compiz/AIGLX/Composite issue, the Composite extension is enabled by default in FC6. If the Composite extension is failing to load, this suggests some other problem with your environment as you are the first person to report a problem such as this. Additionally, I'm running FC6 on the system where I'm typing this, as Composite is loaded with the 1.0-9629 driver.
Oh, I'm having no issues with the Composite extensions and am getting Compiz/AIGLX. On the older Beta driver, I had to prevent the XFree86-DGA extension from loading or Composite would not. But on 1.0-9629, this was not required.

Thanx for the assist!

-- Bryan

P.S. Should I see any performance degradation in full-screen GLX apps while Composite/AIGLX/Compiz is turned on? I noticed I lose about 20-30% performance in windowed apps (e.g., GLXGears) and was wondering if the same is true of full-screen apps as well? When Composite/AIGLX/Compiz is running, I assume it is taking away from memory for buffer/textures? Would this include for full-screen apps as well?
Old 11-12-06, 01:58 PM   #7
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Using Composite will usually result in a small performance loss, as everything has to be rendered off-screen first.