Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-13-06, 06:55 AM   #1
quetzyg
Linux Power User!

Unhappy Issues, issues, and more issues...

Hi there!

I never had installed an NVidia driver that worked 100%. There is always something that doesn't work. I'm currently running Arch Linux 0.7.2 (Gimmick) in a laptop (it's a Uniwill 259 EN3).

Here is the list of issues that I've got:

- OpenGL applications freeze the system.
As I already said in a previous thread, my system freezes when I run OpenGL apps. It can take 1 minute, or 1 hour, but you get a freeze, that's guaranteed!

If I have a system running for a while (browsing, listening to music, etc), and I run Enemy Territory (or any other OpenGL app, for that matter), I get a freeze in less than 5 minutes.

But, if I restart the system before I run the game, it can hold on for a longer time (30minutes, 1 hour) before the freeze.

I tried all the drivers since 1.0-6XXX, till the latest (1.0-9629), and they all do the same.

- Aparently, normal 2d applications also freeze the system.
Sometimes while running firefox the system freezes. It usually happens when viewing videos (Google/Youtube). Flash plugin problem/conflict?!?!

I also get system freezes while running the Eclipse IDE. Java problem/conflict?!?!
The attachment with the bug report, was created after a freeze while running Eclipse. If needed, I can make a bug report after a OpenGL app freeze.

- I have a black bar in the right side of the screen, while running Enemy Territory in full screen
I thought that the 1.0-9XXX drivers had a fix for this bug, but I still have it.

- Audio break while changing from TTY to X11
If I have audio playing, and I change from X11 to a TTY, nothing happens, but if I go back from a TTY to X11, I get a one second break in the audio (NV driver doesn't do that).

If I remember correctly, the the 1.0-7667 driver version had this issue fixed, but it was reintroduced with the 1.0-8XXX versions of the driver.

- Suspend to RAM
Up to the 2.6.17.X version of Linux, the Suspend to RAM feature worked fine. After I upgraded to Linux 2.6.18.X, it stopped working. I could suspend for short periods of time (5 minutes), but more than that, would just give me a black screen and a stalled system when I tried to recover from a suspend.

I didn't have time to test the suspend to RAM (for more than a few minutes) with latest driver release, but as soon as I have more data, I will post my results.

That's it for now, cheers,
Quetzy Garcia
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (18.3 KB, 123 views)
quetzyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-06, 12:51 PM   #2
quetzyg
Linux Power User!

Lightbulb Re: Issues, issues, and more issues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by quetzyg
I didn't have time to test the suspend to RAM (for more than a few minutes) with latest driver release, but as soon as I have more data, I will post my results.
I've tested it, and the problem persists.

It would be nice to have some feedback about this from the NVidia staff.
Old 11-13-06, 12:55 PM   #3
pe1chl

Default Re: Issues, issues, and more issues...

W.r.t. the freezing problems: this must be partly related to hardware or other issues in the system not present for everyone. I never have seen a freeze.
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-06, 01:50 PM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I have a few questions:
0) Have you verified that you're using the latest BIOS?
1) Do these problems also exist with 1.0-9742?
2) If you set RenderAccel to false in xorg.conf, does that have any impact?

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-06, 03:10 PM   #5
zbiggy

Boot your Linux with these options:
pci=noacpi pci=biosirq noapic acpi=off
to check if this freezing is not bios related.

AFAIR I had freezing only with one of first driver releases when render acceleration appeared. This was few years ago.
zbiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-06, 05:30 PM   #6
quetzyg
Linux Power User!

Post Re: Issues, issues, and more issues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
I have a few questions:
0) Have you verified that you're using the latest BIOS?
Yes! Currently BIOS version 2.02 (You can see it here)

Quote:
1) Do these problems also exist with 1.0-9642?
Do you mean 9642 or 9742? And doesn't this driver only add support to the new NVidia chipsets? I'll try it anyway

Quote:
2) If you set RenderAccel to false in xorg.conf, does that have any impact?
I completely forgot that this option now comes activated (even if you don't specify it in xorg.conf). I'll disable it to see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbiggy
Boot your Linux with these options:
pci=noacpi pci=biosirq noapic acpi=off
to check if this freezing is not bios related.

AFAIR I had freezing only with one of first driver releases when render acceleration appeared. This was few years ago.
I will try these later.

Thanks guys,
Quetzy Garcia
Old 11-13-06, 05:34 PM   #7
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

You may also want to check your system memory with e.g. memtest86+ to rule it out as a potential problem source.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-06, 05:37 PM   #8
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Yes, I meant 1.0-9742 (sorry). 1.0-9742 is from a different branch than 1.0-96xx drivers, and does alot more than just add support for G80.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-06, 07:27 PM   #9
quetzyg
Linux Power User!

Exclamation Re: Issues, issues, and more issues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander
You may also want to check your system memory with e.g. memtest86+ to rule it out as a potential problem source.
I haven't done that yet, but I will.

Meanwhile, I've installed the 1.0-9742 driver (and also disabled RenderAccell and Composite). Playing Enemy Territory seems more stable, and while I didn't had a system freeze yet, I don't want to shout victory. So I will test 3D gaming more extensively tomorrow.

Yet, the black bar on the right side of the screen while running ET remains (and I am using the Force full GPU Scaling option from the Flat Panel Scaling in NVIDIA X Server Settings).

But there is another (new?) issue. Now (with the 1.0-9742 drivers) I can no longer use my TTY's (commands can be passed though, and they work fine, but with a corrupted screen, you cannot do much).
If I start X, and switch from X11 back to any TTY (CTRL-ALT-FN), or kill X (CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE), the screen gets lots of garbage. The colors change, starting from Green, to Yellow, Blue and finally Red (looks like the screen is about to blow). I can even see the X mouse pointer (somewhat faded) on the position where it was left in X.

More updates on this, soon!

Thanks for your time,
Quetzy Garcia
Old 11-14-06, 04:31 AM   #10
quetzyg
Linux Power User!

Post Re: Issues, issues, and more issues...

Well, regarding the OpenGL issue, it's the same thing.

Even with RenderAccel, and other extensions (Composite, Render and Damage) disabled, the game still freezes the system at some point.

I'm now trying what zbiggy suggested. For now, it all seems OK (besides having ACPI support disabled). I'll let you know if I run into trouble again.

Thanks,
Quetzy Garcia
Old 11-14-06, 11:24 AM   #11
Linuxhippy

I also have the sound-problem when chaning between X11 and tty.
I own a NV18 based Laptop, so my GPU is a legancy card starting with 9742 ... seems to be bad luck

However doesn't bother me much

lg Clemens
Linuxhippy is offline   Reply With Quote