Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-15-06, 05:16 AM   #1
russ_3d
museikal rtisdt

Default easy free tool for network trafic monitoring/managing?

i have 3 computers on a wireless network, mine is the host.

its connected to a linksys wireless-g

i pay for the internet, and its been frequently slowing down loads (people downloading/playing games etc)

is there aneasy, free tool so i can monitor network traffic/ and /or/ manage it so certain computers have priority?

i have tried forwarding ports and stuff, but something is clogging up somewhere.

i dont have much experience with running a network, so i really need an easy readout that i can understand

thanks
russ_3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-06, 05:38 AM   #2
retsam

Default Re: easy free tool for network trafic monitoring/managing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ_3d
i have 3 computers on a wireless network, mine is the host.
all computers on a network are hosts(unless your talking about mainframes ) so i dont get what you mean here.

Quote:
i have tried forwarding ports and stuff, but something is clogging up somewhere.
turn this off this will not solve your problem.this could cause you to have your machines to become infected with vireses if you forward the wrong ports.

if your router supports it set up QOS (quality of service) and set each port that is connected to each maching a set amount of bandwidth. so say you have 3 hosts(computers) on you network and lets just say you have 3 megabit connection to the internet. you would set each port a QOS rate of 1 megabit. or even a little more so that way no single machine will each all the bandwidth. if you router doesnt offer such a feature then i would suggest you get one. i really dont know of anything off the top of my head that will do qos controls in windows for free. i hope this help out and please let us know how you make out.

Last edited by retsam; 11-15-06 at 06:06 AM.
retsam is offline   Reply With Quote