Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-19-03, 04:33 AM   #1
Liquidice

Send a message via AIM to Liquidice
Default Lockups under mandrake 9.1 Ti4600

My problem is; now that i've installed my new video card, my system is locking up... regularly.
Especially when running Unreal Tournament (Original), it'll run for a little bit (less than a minute usually) then it locks up.

I can't switch to a terminal or anything. i'm forced to reset each time.

I've tried reseting my bios settings, changing my hard drive, re-installed linux many times, updated my sound drivers, tried all of the "NvAgp" options in my XFree config file. Nothing seems to be fixing it so far..

Here's my info:
Motherboard: Abit KT7A (no raid)
Proc.: AMD Duron 1200mhz
Ram: 512MB Crucial, CAS 2, 7.2ns
Video Card: ChainTech GF4/Ti4600
Video BIOS: 04.25.00.37.00
Driver Version: 1.0-4191 (compiled from source. also tried newest .sh installer, 4191 worked better as i was noticing corruption in objects while playing Chromium, not with 4191 though)

I've attached my XF86Config-4 file.

Thanks for taking your time to help me, it'd be really nice to get this working right, i've been messing with it for 3 days now and i'd kinda like to have my b-day present working right :P

P.S. If there's any additional information that would be helpful, please let me know and i'll post it ASAP.
Liquidice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-03, 03:42 AM   #2
Liquidice

damn, does no one have a clue?...
Old 04-20-03, 03:27 PM   #3
Liquidice

ok well let me ask this then.. does anyone have a Geforce 4 Ti4600 working on linux, without any lockups ?

if so please post a reply and let me know what distribution you're using driver version, card etc.

and also if you've played unreal tournament on it without it locking up.

thanks
Old 04-21-03, 05:39 AM   #4
Liquidice

Default Working..thanks to.. ME!

I got it all working fine, it was something that would otherwise be obvious, my stupid cpu was overheating.

after i wiped off the crusty old lube from between the processor and the fan, i put on my new lube on it and then it played perfect (with 4191 drivers) I think the new ones might right work too if i changed the Option NvAgp to "1" in my XF86Config-4 file, I did it with 4191, there was nothing weird in the graphics, then it came out of no where.. stretching my colors all over the screen, so then i changed the nvagp option to 1 and restarted my x server and it stopped, no troubles since.. maybe i'll try the newest driver and see if it works right if i set that agp option. i was getting graphic corruption.. dunno how to explain it just like stuff was blasting out of its place heh..

But yea.. I guess we should never rule out simple things that could be causing stuff to go wrong.
other people were having problems with their ti4600's (locking up (Win and Lin)) and it was caused by not having enough wattage from their power supply.

sigh, I don't know if any of this will help anyone, but i hope it does.

Later