Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-20-03, 04:28 PM   #1
Justin11

Default Problems installing and im a complete n00b

k, i want linux for very simple reasons, to run Everquest, all i want is for that to work. so all i really want is for it to work. nothing fancy. so i download this driver, i go to terminal, and get to the dir, then type sh (filename here) it goes, then comes up with an error screen that reads " unable to find the system utility `ld` ; please make sure you have the package `binutils` installed. if you do have `binutils` installed then please check that it is in your PATH" now wtf does this mean, i have no clue, and hope someone much smarter than I can figure it out. i'd be willing to pay 50 bucks just to get this one game to work. i have Red Hat 8.0, TI4400, 1024mb ddr 2100, XP 1700, if u want anymore info, tell me how to get it please
Justin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-03, 04:41 PM   #2
bwkaz

Somewhere on one of the RH 8 CDs, there is a file named binutils-<some version>.rpm -- you need to install that RPM.

Actually, never mind. It might be easier to simply restart the RH installer, and select "upgrade" if/when it asks (I know the Mandrake installer asks you; I believe the RH one does too but I've never used it, so yeah). Then, add the "development" package group thing, let it copy the files, and then exit the installer.

Reboot to your RH installation, and you should have ld. which ld should find it, assuming you have the which program installed -- you should though; I believe it's the default in a lot of distros. If which still complains, then revert to what I was saying before -- look through the CDs (make sure you burned them all, too...) for a package called binutils-<version>.rpm, and run rpm -ivh on it (as root). But I don't see why the installer wouldn't work.

As a side note, how are you planning on getting EQ to run in Linux? Has someone done a native port that I don't know about? Or are you thinking of going the Wine route?
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-03, 04:53 PM   #3
Justin11

Default wine

prolly just gonna take the Wine route, prolly not the best way but im in it for just one tiny program, not to be named :P
Old 04-20-03, 06:45 PM   #4
bwkaz

All right, whatever.

Let me know if this works.
Old 04-20-03, 11:11 PM   #5
Justin11

Default k

yeah it worked thanks, now it doesn't seem to allow past 800/600 and stuff, oh well i changed the file the readme says too, oh well, no errors, just doesn't seem to work, thanks your help sure fixed it, will be tring to get this to work for couple days now, and if u have any other way of EQ working, let meh know
Old 04-21-03, 07:55 AM   #6
bwkaz

I don't know of any way of getting EQ to work, no.

As for the 800x600 thing, the problem is likely that the configured refresh rate ranges aren't large enough to allow any higher resolutions. Check the VertRefresh and HorizSync options in your Monitor section (in the X config file), and make sure they match with what your monitor's capabilities are (check the monitor manufacturer's web site, or the monitor manual if you have one, for these ranges). Setting the range too high might damage the monitor, but setting it too low won't allow you to use all available resolutions.