Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-19-06, 10:45 PM   #13
omababy

Default Re: i can only get 640x480

I removed the second parameter and it logged the same error. I tried another option in its place:

Option "ModeValidation" "NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck"

but it didn't help either. I've included both logs.
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.log.1.zip (33.4 KB, 105 views)
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.log.2.zip (33.6 KB, 99 views)
omababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-06, 10:54 PM   #14
Cambo

Send a message via Yahoo to Cambo

Looks like you've got the ModeValidation strings wrong.

From http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...ppendix-d.html

Quote:
Option "ModeValidation" "string"

This option provides fine-grained control over each stage of the mode validation pipeline, disabling individual mode validation checks. This option should only very rarely be used.

The option string is a semicolon-separated list of comma-separated lists of mode validation arguments. Each list of mode validation arguments can optionally be prepended with a display device name.

"<dpy-0>: <tok>, <tok>; <dpy-1>: <tok>, <tok>, <tok>; ..."

Possible arguments:

"AllowNon60HzDFPModes": some lower quality TMDS encoders are only rated to drive DFPs at 60Hz; the driver will determine when only 60Hz DFP modes are allowed. This argument disables this stage of the mode validation pipeline.

"NoMaxPClkCheck": each mode has a pixel clock; this pixel clock is validated against the maximum pixel clock of the hardware (for a DFP, this is the maximum pixel clock of the TMDS encoder, for a CRT, this is the maximum pixel clock of the DAC). This argument disables the maximum pixel clock checking stage of the mode validation pipeline.

"NoEdidMaxPClkCheck": a display device's EDID can specify the maximum pixel clock that the display device supports; a mode's pixel clock is validated against this pixel clock maximum. This argument disables this stage of the mode validation pipeline.

"AllowInterlacedModes": interlaced modes are not supported on all NVIDIA GPUs; the driver will discard interlaced modes on GPUs where interlaced modes are not supported; this argument disables this stage of the mode validation pipeline.

"NoMaxSizeCheck": each NVIDIA GPU has a maximum resolution that it can drive; this argument disables this stage of the mode validation pipeline.

"NoHorizSyncCheck": a mode's horizontal sync is validated against the range of valid horizontal sync values; this argument disables this stage of the mode validation pipeline.

"NoVertRefreshCheck": a mode's vertical refresh rate is validated against the range of valid vertical refresh rate values; this argument disables this stage of the mode validation pipeline.

"NoWidthAlignmentCheck": the alignment of a mode's visible width is validated against the capabilities of the GPU; normally, a mode's visible width must be a multiple of 8. This argument disables this stage of the mode validation pipeline.

"NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck": when validating for a DFP, a mode's size is validated against the native resolution of the DFP; this argument disables this stage of the mode validation pipeline.

"NoVirtualSizeCheck": if the X configuration file requests a specific virtual screen size, a mode cannot be larger than that virtual size; this argument disables this stage of the mode validation pipeline.

"NoVesaModes": when constructing the mode pool for a display device, the X driver uses a built-in list of VESA modes as one of the mode sources; this argument disables use of these built-in VESA modes.

"NoEdidModes": when constructing the mode pool for a display device, the X driver uses any modes listed in the display device's EDID as one of the mode sources; this argument disables use of EDID-specified modes.

"NoXServerModes": when constructing the mode pool for a display device, the X driver uses the built-in modes provided by the core XFree86/Xorg X server as one of the mode sources; this argument disables use of these modes. Note that this argument does not disable custom ModeLines specified in the X config file; see the "NoCustomModes" argument for that.

"NoCustomModes": when constructing the mode pool for a display device, the X driver uses custom ModeLines specified in the X config file (through the "Mode" or "ModeLine" entries in the Monitor Section) as one of the mode sources; this argument disables use of these modes.

"NoPredefinedModes": when constructing the mode pool for a display device, the X driver uses additional modes predefined by the NVIDIA X driver; this argument disables use of these modes.

"NoUserModes": additional modes can be added to the mode pool dynamically, using the NV-CONTROL X extension; this argument prohibits user-specified modes via the NV-CONTROL X extension.
Hope that helps ;-)

Cambo
Cambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-06, 11:34 PM   #15
omababy

thanks Cambo sorry I wasn't being clear, I was able to remove the token error, but it didn't help increase my resolution above 640x480
Old 11-20-06, 12:04 AM   #16
Cambo

Send a message via Yahoo to Cambo

Looks like, because you've got the "UseEDID" "False", the driver is sticking to a default size of 640x480. Hardly surprising, really, as it has nowhere but the EDID to get the resolution capabilities from....

If you remove;
Quote:
Option "UseEDID" "False"
Option "UseEdidFreqs" "False"
and just leave in the;
Quote:
Option "ModeValidation" "NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck"
then you _should_ be able to get the 1280x1024.

There definitely seems to be something odd about these EDID problems with flat panels. Maybe the manufacturers are not quite following the spec, whereas that's what Nvidia rely on - who knows :/

Cambo
Cambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-06, 01:33 AM   #17
omababy

Bingo! Thanks for the help Cambo, & netllama