Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-18-06, 04:21 PM   #1
mnm

Default Installed 9629 and AGP Disabled on Reboot

Hi

I am running a machine that tracks Debian Unstable and was previously using the packaged version of the nvidia driver. In order to attempt to get a custom 1080i mode working (I have the usual problem of a 30Hz refresh reported as 120Hz hence interlaced modes tend to be difficult to get working if not impossible on my screen) I uninstalled the packaged driver and installed the 9629 driver using the nvidia installer. This works fine until I reboot at which point Xorg fails to start.

I have attached bug reports generated when X is working (i.e. restarting X without reboot after installing the driver) and when X is not working (i.e. after a reboot). X appears (from the logs) to start normally in each case. The working bug report is the .SUCCESS.log file and the failed one is the .FAILED.log one.

The only difference I have noticed is the AGP is disabled after a reboot yet both modules (nvidia-agp and agpgart) are present in both situations.

I'm a bit stuck as to where to go next with this one. Any ideas would be much appreciated, I don't really want to slot in a call to the driver installer on startup

For completeness I followed this process to install the driver

Code:
# get the tools that build stuff
apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r` build-essential gcc xserver-xorg-dev pkg-config
# remove the packaged nvidia tools
apt-get --purge remove nvidia-glx nvidia-settings nvidia-glx-legacy

/etc/init.d/gdm stop

# run the installer
cd ~/downloads/system
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9629-pkg1.run -n -s --x-prefix=/usr/lib/xorg/ --kernel-source-path=/usr/src/linux-headers-`uname -r`

# start gdm
/etc/init.d/gdm start
Cheers
Matt
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-reports.tar.gz (70.0 KB, 97 views)
mnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-06, 05:38 PM   #2
whig
550Ti

Default Re: Installed 9629 and AGP Disabled on Reboot

Your bug reports are borked. My guess is that the nvidia kernel module isn't being loaded at boot: verify the module is loaded and modprobe it if not.
whig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-06, 12:55 AM   #3
mnm

bug reports reattached

I've checked module loading, in each case nvidia & nvidia_agp & agpgart are loaded apparently normally.

Cheers
Matt
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.tar.gz (69.5 KB, 102 views)
Old 11-20-06, 02:51 PM   #4
mnm

Hi

I have now resolved this issue, it looks like a purge remove of nvidia-glx did not clean up completely leaving nvidia-glx in /etc/init.d which was deleting the TLS symlinks on 1st reboot after install. I manually moved nvidia-glx out of the way and rebooted and all is well again.

Cheers
Matt