Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-20-06, 03:11 PM   #13
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: (beta) nvidia-settings not detecting VGA monitor correctly

I suggest dropping Twinview for now, and focusing on getting the CRT working at 1280x1024.

I still would suggest give your modeline a unique name. 1280x1024_75 isn't unique.

However, if the modeline you're using is resulting in the CRT not coming up, that suggests that its outside of spec. Can you verify whether a 60Hz refresh rate modeline works any better?

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-06, 01:51 AM   #14
Zac Witte

I followed your suggestions and did a little more poking around as well. I got rid of twinview, re-generated the Modeline for 60Hz, and changed 1280x1024_75 to my1280x1024. I know the modes are within spec because they've worked before and if it tried sending a signal out of spec the LCD displaced the message "unsupported input" or something to that effect. Instead of just says "no input"

It seems that specifying a ModeLine doesn't exempt it from EDID validation. Additionally, the line Option "ModeValidation" "NoEdidModes" seems to mean only that it will not include modes auto-generated from EDID, but it still tries to validate manually defined modes with the EDID data.

So then I went back to using the Option "UseEDID" "false" line with my twinview setup, which worked fine for the CRT but I don't know how to define a Modeline for the second monitor (the DFP) and since it couldn't generate them using EDIDs it had no modes and wasn't initialized.

See the two attached nvidia-bug-reports.
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-reports.zip (47.3 KB, 97 views)
Zac Witte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-06, 12:13 PM   #15
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I need you to generate a verbose X log (with the command provided above) in a new bug report to capture the validation of your "my1280x1024" modeline.

You can create a modeline for the DFP from its EDID.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 11-05-06, 11:27 PM   #16
Zac Witte

OK I have the verbose log with the nvidia-bug-report attached. It said:

(II) NVIDIA(0): --- Building ModePool for @@@ (CRT-0) ---
(II) NVIDIA(0): Validating Mode "my1280x1024":
(II) NVIDIA(0): 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz
(II) NVIDIA(0): Mode Source: X Configuration file ModeLine
(II) NVIDIA(0): Pixel Clock : 108.88 MHz
(II) NVIDIA(0): HRes, HSyncStart : 1280, 1360
(II) NVIDIA(0): HSyncEnd, HTotal : 1496, 1712
(II) NVIDIA(0): VRes, VSyncStart : 1024, 1025
(II) NVIDIA(0): VSyncEnd, VTotal : 1028, 1060
(II) NVIDIA(0): H/V Polarity : -/+
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Mode is rejected: PixelClock (108.9 MHz) too high for EDID
(WW) NVIDIA(0): (EDID Max: 0.0 MHz).

How do I specify that a mode is for a particular screen?. For example, if I disable EDID how do I tell the DFP to use my manually specified mode since the default screen it the CRT.

Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.log.zip (37.2 KB, 101 views)
Old 11-05-06, 11:54 PM   #17
Zac Witte

Here are two more bug reports. -NoEdidModes shows two bugs. 1) That it crashes the X server whenever i enable the Option "ModeValidation" "NoEdidModes" and 2) That it still invalidated my manually defined Modeline and tried to generate modes with Edid data even thought I used the option NoEdidModes.

The other bug report shows where I enable the line Option "UseEDID" "false" so that it cannot invalidate my Modeline and the CRT does successfully work here. Unfortunately, my DFP does not.
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report-noedid.log.zip (36.7 KB, 89 views)
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report-NoEdidModes.log.zip (23.3 KB, 97 views)
Old 11-06-06, 11:19 AM   #18
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

You can instruct the driver not to validate EDID modes only for the CRT (see the README).
Old 11-09-06, 08:32 AM   #19
radu.c

8774 didn't have this restriction. I updated to the 9629 version of the driver and this restriction hit me pretty hard. I'll stick with 8774 (8776 doesn't give any good reason to upgrade from my point of view) for now. The LCD monitor looks pretty weird by the way (read: it's scrambled and not usable), although I mentioned that I want HD720p, which overrides the 720p resolution in X and just resides the screen when another resolution is specified in X.

I upgraded to this version to test for other possible crashes and kernel oopses but without a usable X session, I can't do that.
radu.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-06, 03:01 PM   #20
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

radu.c,
If you want assistance with this problem, please post a bug report.

thanks,
Lonni

Old 11-17-06, 04:47 AM   #21
Zac Witte

OK, to make things easier on anyone else needing an answer to this, I'll post what I did to finally make it work. Its actually very simple.

Since my CRT monitor was giving bogus EDID data (or so it seems, but it works fine in windows) I needed to replace it with real data. Now I'm lucky because I have two identical screens - one is sending accurate EDID data and one isn't. I used the nvidia-settings tool to export the accurate edid data using the AquireEDID button and save it to a file called en9110edid.bin. Then in my xorg.conf in the screen section I add this line:

Option "CustomEDID" "CRT-0:/home/zac/en9110edid.bin"

and bingo bango it works. It would have made things a lot easier if I were told of this ability when we first discovered that I was getting bogus EDID data!

Thanks much for your help, netllama.
Old 11-20-06, 01:16 PM   #22
radu.c

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
radu.c,
If you want assistance with this problem, please post a bug report.

thanks,
Lonni
Actually, I did more tinkering with the drivers and I remembered that I wanted to ignore EDID and use exact timings because the driver would ignore my modelines when EDID was enabled. Now it seems this is no longer the case and my modeline shows up in X's list.
Old 11-22-06, 11:55 AM   #23
radu.c

I solved my issue (Modelines being filtered out) with this:

Option "NoDDC" "true"
Option "UseEDID" "false"
Option "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "true"
Option "NoBandWidthTest" "true"
Option "ModeValidation" "NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck, NoEdidMaxPClkCheck, NoMaxPClkCheck, AllowNon60HzDFPModes, AllowInterlacedModes, NoHorizSyncCheck, NoVertRefreshCheck, NoWidthAlignmentCheck"

The first 3 options don't seem to do much, as I obtain the same results either way, but I keep them arround.

As you can see I told the driver to be as dumb as possible regarding the resolutions (this is what I needed in the first place). Disabling the use of EDID would position the "maximum resolution the monitor says it can do" to 640x480. Using it, filters my modelines. I told the driver to let me specify whatever I wanted with the "ModeValidation" option when I found the "NoBandWidthTest" option. Using them individually still filters resolutions. Using them together and pow, monitor overdrive

I guess I should also post a disclaimer: THIS MAY FRY YOUR MONITOR. It didn't fry mine (just yet), but who knows how the die-exactly-the-day-after-the-warranty-expires component was designed to work like.
Old 11-23-06, 07:20 AM   #24
radu.c

My latest post showed settings that made the driver too dumb I realized this when my monitor was displaying 720p just fine, but wouldn't display 640x480, so I reduced the options to this:

#Option "NoDDC" "true"
#Option "UseEDID" "false"
Option "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "true"
Option "NoLogo" "true"
Option "NoBandWidthTest" "true"
Option "ModeValidation" "NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck, NoEdidMaxPClkCheck, NoMaxPClkCheck"

Notice how I told the driver to use EDID (I commented those options out), but told it to use the exact mode timings (i.e. overriding EDID), and I also reduced the set of ModeValidation options to only the necessary ones.

Maybe a book called "the black arts of configuring the nVidia driver" should be published

Oh, and by the way, since the beta was surpassed by the release, my latest posts applyto 9629, not the original Beta.