Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-27-06, 09:16 PM   #1
xqz1000

Default Geforce2MX, VIA AGP Chipset: X Frozen with Nvidia Drivers

My X freezes under intensive graphics load. Only occurs in Linux and not WinXP. Mouse wont move and nothing responds.

Option NvAGP ¨0¨ solves the problem or I can run the ¨nv¨ drivers that come with my distro. However performance degrades to unacceptable levels. This computer can bearly do what it is supposed to do in Windows, and I am trying Linux partly to get better performance. Forcing Nvidia drivers to run @ AGP 1x does not solve the problem.

Chipset: VIA Apollo 133 Pro (no 4x support)
Videocard: Geforce2 MX400 SDRAM (Asus v7100 Pro Pure)
kernel 2.6.18.1

Tried driver versions 71.84, 87.?? and 96.** (all in official nvidia archive)

eems to be similar to this problem under this blog entry here: http://my.opera.com/CrazyTerabyte/blog/show.dml/480262

I am new to Linux and don´t know where my log files are to post them to figure out the exact problem.

nvidia-bug-report.log

Last edited by xqz1000; 11-27-06 at 09:31 PM.
xqz1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-06, 12:08 PM   #2
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Geforce2MX, VIA AGP Chipset: X Frozen with Nvidia Drivers

Does using the builtin NvAGP AGP GART driver instead of the Linux AGPGART driver help?
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-06, 09:10 PM   #3
xqz1000

http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/L...ppendix-f.html

According to the driver readme, my chipset is not supported by NVAGP. Is there a way to force it to use NvAGP? I have tried setting the NvAGP option in my xorg.conf to "1", AGP became disabled. I didn't know that I could try the NvAGP without it being on the supported list. I will give that a go tonight.

I don't exactly know what to do to disable the built in AGPGart. I guess I can try to google that for now.

For now I am going to append the line agp=off to the linux section of my lilo.conf, then enable the option in xorg.conf. The readme isn't very clear about this.

Last edited by xqz1000; 11-28-06 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-28-06, 10:34 PM   #4
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

Quote:
Originally Posted by xqz1000
For now I am going to append the line agp=off to the linux section of my lilo.conf, then enable the option in xorg.conf. The readme isn't very clear about this.
Don't you mean "edit grub.conf"?? From what you described, it sounds an awful lot like a system RAM problem.. I was getting that same thing happening on my new system, until I manully setup my memory timings and voltage.. (Something that you probably can't do on that board), which leaves, replacing the RAM... The fact that it works in windows, doesn't mean that you don't have memory problems.. (Running memtest86+ on the RAM should sort that out)..
Wolfman [TWP] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-06, 11:11 PM   #5
xqz1000

It is likely not a problem wiht my memory because the problem doesnt happen when I am in PCI mode... Or if I am using my Windows XP partition... This system is not overclocked at all.

I am using lilo, not grub. By adding a line to my lilo.conf and writing it to my mbr using liloconfig... Kernel AGPGart seems to be disabled now. I had to add the line: append=¨agp=off¨ to the end of my lilo.conf

Anyway, disabling AGPGart seems to have worked if not helped at least. I am testing it right now with 71.84. Thanks a lot

running cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status
Quote:
Driver: NVIDIA
AGP Rate: 2x
Fast Writes: Disabled
SBA: Disabled
update:
Seems to be working... 15 glxgears running at the same time with Firefox rendering webpages no longer crashes. For now this is good enough. Is there some other program I can use to test stability? And are there any disadvantages to using the nvagp drivers?