Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-05-06, 03:49 AM   #13
pe1chl

Default Re: 1920x1200 on Dell 24"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumboot
It turns out the monitor only gets upset when you do that on the DVI port. It puts up with much more on the VGA port.
The modeline I mentioned worked on the DVI port!
I know, the manual says it doesn't.

True that it allows more on VGA. However, when I connected it using VGA it would not work at 1920x1200 when I tried. It detected that as 1600x1200 and re-scaled it, resulting in ugly text. Not being able to solve that in 2-3 tries, I switched to DVI and ran into the clock limit problem. So I lowered the clock and it just worked.

Later, I swapped the 5900 card for a 6600GT (for other reasons), and now I can just use 1920x1200 at 60Hz on DVI. And video scaling no longer is a problem either.
(before, I solved that by viewing HD video in a window slightly smaller than fullscreen. it needed to be only a little smaller for it to work)
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-06, 02:51 PM   #14
Gumboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pe1chl
The modeline I mentioned worked on the DVI port!
I know, the manual says it doesn't.
Well this is the thing. I'm not really convinced that my monitor is all that different from yours, or that it would apply drastically different standards to one interface from the other (beyond the pixel clock, which I can't exceed anyway). What seems more likely is that the DVI output isn't producing the timings that it's being asked to produce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pe1chl
True that it allows more on VGA. However, when I connected it using VGA it would not work at 1920x1200 when I tried. It detected that as 1600x1200 and re-scaled it, resulting in ugly text.
I've had that a couple of times. The solution I found was to fill the screen with a light colour and hit auto adjust again, or to hit ctrl-alt-F1 then ctrl-alt-F7 to change modes and force it to reconsider what it thought it had detected. That can be tricky, though, because the nVidia X server can take several seconds to draw what's supposed to be there after a mode change, which can be too late for the monitor, so you're relying on something suitable being there by default. I think if the background is a solid, light colour then it works.
Gumboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-06, 05:09 AM   #15
Gumboot

I'll just answer my own question because I know how much it sucks to google for the solution to a problem and find nothing but people who have asked the same question and then gone quiet without mentioning the solution...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumboot
I really do need the pixel clock limit in the driver raised to support the modes that the card is supposed to support.
I don't know when (or even if) things changed, but there's now (as at version 1.0.8776) a ModeValidation option that can be used to force this. In the Device section, add:

Option "ModeValidation" "NoMaxPClkCheck"

It turns out this is a bit twitchy on my hardware, and very occasionally my screen will blank for half a second, or I'll get a brief horizontal line green line flash. When I get around to it I'll try lowering the dot clock slightly or going back to an interlaced mode. Presumably those experiments will require:

Option "ModeValidation" "NoMaxPClkCheck, AllowNon60HzDFPModes"

Last edited by Gumboot; 12-01-06 at 05:56 AM.
Gumboot is offline   Reply With Quote