Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-29-06, 05:30 PM   #1
infernux

Cool Freeze in GDM with 9629/9742

Hi,

I recently got a new computer and installed Ubuntu Edgy on it. The 8776 (?) NVidia driver that ships with Edgy works fine. But I wanted to use one of the the new 9xxx drivers so I tried to install one using the binary installer.

Well I had 9629 working on my old install (on Edgy too) so I thought this won't be a problem. But now If I boot normally GDM starts and then the computer totally freezes.

I have read the forum and found a similar post, I tried the patch to disable i2c but it didn't change a thing. Also, before installing the new driver I removed the Ubuntu-supplied driver cleanly using

sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia-kernel-common nvidia-glx linux-restricted-modules-generic linux-restricted-modules-common nvidia-glx

My xorg.conf is the same that worked on the old install...

To make things even more confusing:

- booting in "save mode" to runlevel 0 and then starting GDM by hand works!
- removing GDM and booting normally and then starting the gnome session by hand also works fine!

in both cases I end up with totally usable and stable X Sessions: GLX, Composite and all... really the only problem seems to be when booting into GDM.

Any Idea?

Thx!

(if you need more information, say so!)
infernux is offline   Reply With Quote