Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-09-06, 02:13 AM   #1
mlwalla

Default Can't get driver to work for a Geforce2 Go in Ubuntu

Hi there, here is a:

Summary of my problem:
When I install the nvidia driver and run nvidia-xconfig to fix up xorg.conf, my system hangs on restarting X. I get this weird thing where the display gets smaller and centers on the screen (i.e. big black borders for the command prompt), and then the bottom half is a white rectangle. The display blinks on to this and off again about three times before hanging for good, and I have to ctrl-alt-del to get things going again (alt-F1 does not work).
Among the errors xserver spits out (after rebooting and at least getting to a blue screen) are:
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failure reading maximum pixel clock value for display device
(EE) NVIDIA(0): CRT-0.
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Unable to read EDID for display device CRT-0
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failure reading maximum pixel clock value for display device
(EE) NVIDIA(0): TV-0.
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failure to determine the TV encoder.

This is odd because I have no CRT or TV attached (although the main reason I want to get this driver working is for tv-out)

My system:
Dell Inspiron 8000 (laptop) with a Geforce2 Go and an ultra XGA lcd with a 1600x1200 native resolution (noob here, but I think that's the term)
Ubuntu Dapper Dan 6.06

My process:
I use synaptic to install the package nvidia-glx (1.0.8762+2.6.15.11)
I run sudo nvidia-xconfig
I restart X with ctrl-alt-bckspc

Attached files (all in one .zip file):
working xorg.conf file with the free nv driver enabled (xorg.conf.nv)
working Xorg.0.log file with the free nv driver enabled in xorg.conf (Xorg.0.log.nv)
NOT working xorg.conf file after running nvidia-xconfig (xorg.conf.nvidia-xconfig)
NOT working Xorg.0.log after running nvidia-xconfig (Xorg.0.log.nvidia-xconfig)
bug report using nvidia-bug-report.sh (nvidia-bug-report.log)

Plea for help:
I'm a linux noob. I've been all over various how-to's to get this working. None have dealt specifically with my problem, nor have I seen my exact problem addressed either here or in the ubuntu forums (although a couple are similar). No suggestions have worked so far. The only thing that has even changed the symptoms is (I think) turning off EDID and specifying option "connected monitor" as "DFP-0". This only resulted in an even harder system hang (power button reboot required), and the white rectangle occupying the lower half of my screen became multi-colored. I don't have the xorg.conf/Xorg.0.log/nvidia-bug-report files from this trial and error step, but I could probably retrace my steps. This is becoming kind of an ordeal, and at this point it's just stubbornness thats keeping me from giving up on the possibility of tv-out. Any input appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia driver stuff.zip (32.6 KB, 112 views)
mlwalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-06, 08:32 AM   #2
Alras

Default Re: Can't get driver to work for a Geforce2 Go in Ubuntu

You could try the legacy driver, it is availble from the repositories I think. It might give you better results.
Alras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-06, 11:08 AM   #3
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

mlwalla,
First you should verify that you're using the latest BIOS, as many people have reported problems on this notebook with older BIOS versions.

Additionally, please test with 1.0-9625.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-06, 10:12 PM   #4
mlwalla

Thanks for the input!
One proposed solution at a time, I suppose.
(Also, sorry about the verbosity, but I suppose its better to give too much info than too little, and it helps me keep track of what I've done and stay somewhat methodical.)

Suggestion 1 (legacy driver):
I used synaptic to install the nvidia-glx-legacy driver.
As per the instructions in the package description, I ran
Code:
sudo nvidia-glx-config enable
(regular sudo nvidia-xconfig didn't work...not included?)
Got this message:
Code:
Error: your X configuration has been altered.
This script cannot proceed automatically. If you believe that this
not correct, you can update the md5sum entry executing the following
command:
md5sum /etc/X11/xorg.conf | sudo tee /var/lib/x11/xorg.conf.md5sum
otherwise edit manually /etc/X11/xorg.conf to change the Driver section
from nv to nvidia.
So I executed the suggested command and got this:
Code:
2d3bf1663ca336deaa29da9d8377aee5  /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Then I re-ran
Code:
sudo nvidia-glx-config enable
My xorg.conf file now says this! (among other things)

Code:
Section "Device"
        Identifier      "ATI Technologies, Inc. Radeon RV100 QY [Radeon 7000/VE$        Driver          "nvidia"
        BusID           "PCI:0:5:0"
EndSection
Wha!? I was pretty sure I had an nvidia card....
Also, I have no idea what the
Code:
md5sum /etc/X11/xorg.conf | sudo tee /var/lib/x11/xorg.conf.md5sum
does....could that have anything at all to do with it?

Anyway, for lack of another option presenting itself I went ahead and restarted X. Not surprisingly, no go.

Seemingly relevant error from Xorg.0.log:
Code:
(WW) NVIDIA: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:0) found
(EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

So, in the name of trial-and-error, I tried just manually changing "nv" to "nvidia" in the device section of xconf.org. Also, no go.
Seemingly relevant error from Xorg.0.log:

Code:
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module!
(EE) NVIDIA(0):  *** Aborting ***
(II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
Attached Files (in one zip):
The xorg.conf file after using the nvidia-glx-config enable (xorg.conf.nvidia-glx-config-enable)
The Xorg.0.log file after restarting X with said configuration (Xorg.0.log.nvidia-glx-config-enable)
The bug report from same attempt (nvidia-bug-report.log.nvidia-glx-config-enable)

The xorg.conf file after changing "nv" to "nvidia" manually in the device section (xorg.conf.nv-to-nvidia)
The Xorg.0.log file after restarting x with said configuration (Xorg.0.log.nv-to-nvidia)
The bug report from same attempt (nvidia-bug-report.log.nv-to-nvidia)

Any ideas?

Suggestion 2 (update BIOS):

I suspect this may be the way to go from others who have posted similar, if not identical, problems...
I haven't tried this yet, though, because I'm not sure how to go about it under linux. I suppose this probably isn't the best forum to ask this question, but: Anyone know how to create a bootdisk from the .exe files available on the dell support site under Ubuntu? Again...noob here.

If not, I can probably just make the floppy at work tomorrow where there is a windows machine (and floppies)

However, I did run across something after a quick google of "dell inspiron 8000 bios update" that gave me pause:

"If you are using Linux on an Inspiron 8000, do not upgrade the BIOS beyond version 17. All of the subsequent BIOS images are flawed. The kernel gives this message - "Dell Inspiron with broken BIOS detected. Refusing to enable the local APIC."

The most recent available bios on this site was A22, while the Dell support site has A23....I am running A17
Anyone care to comment on success or failure updating the bios on a Dell Inspiron 8000?

Thanks again for the suggestions so far.

p.s. I haven't yet gone through all these steps using the brand-newest-driver...is it at all likely this would fix the problem? ....I'm slightly intimidated at this point of installing stuff outside of the oh-so-comfortable synaptic.
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia driver stuff day 2.zip (38.3 KB, 119 views)
Old 11-29-06, 09:43 PM   #5
mlwalla

Wahoo! I finally got around to picking up this project again and updating my BIOS and my NVIDIA driver is up and running, albeit two months later.... I had tried this once before but either my laptops floppy drive or the one I wrote the boot disk on was crummy because the process hung after "starting MS-DOS..." which, compounded with the warning about the Inspiron 8000 BIOS upgrades outlined in my last post, made me a little hesitant to push my luck. Anyway, all is well now and thanks again for the help! Now, I just have to configure tv-out...