Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: Do you want support for APM in AGP mode?
yes 2 66.67%
no 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-23-04, 02:14 AM   #1
tquas

Default Dell i8200, APM, AGP, when finally supported?

I'm running a Debian sarge system on my Dell, and everything works fine except for suspend mode. I don't have to restate what's been said already, but when will nVidia finally support APM in AGP mode? Any official statements?

The lack of this support is--at least for me--a reason to switch to ATI hardware with my next laptop.

Thanks,

-tom
tquas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-04, 09:06 PM   #2
sc3252

Default Re: Dell i8200, APM, AGP, when finally supported?

I dont think you want to switch, trust me on this one. I use an ati card in linux 9800, and a 8500 both were easy enough to setup with the latest drivers, but they are slow and they dont have a good control pannel. When you threaten to switch to ati from nvidia in linux at least right now is a bad idea. but what do i know i am not using a nvidia card in linux. I guess i dont know how bad you have it. I dont have a notebook too.
sc3252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-04, 04:02 AM   #3
tquas

Well, I'm a software developer, not a gamer, so I'm not interested in twiggling the final nanosecond out of the video card. For me, convenience is key, and not having a working power management seems to be reason enough to switch.

Why I'm using AGP? General system performance! Plus: I paid for it!

-tom
tquas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-04, 07:22 AM   #4
yodaofborg

Well, if you want to switch to ATI, dont let anyone stop you, but do you think posting that on this forum, its going to affect nvidia's next driver release?? *NOPE*...lol

I also agree that AGP PM should be included in the driver, and have voted as much, but im sticking with Nvidia, yes, you payed for it, SO PAY FOR WINDOWZ AS WELL WHY NOT EH? Im also a *developer*, and do not trust ati or microsoft as far as i can throw them.... *nuff said*
yodaofborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-06, 09:39 AM   #5
mariusm

same @#$@% problem with Inspiron 8200:
originally I got ATI Radeon M9, EVERYTHING worked: ACPI suspend to disk, 3D acceleration out of the box with open source drivers!!!
sadly, after 4 years video ram got some glitches.. by accident got nVidia GeForce4 440 Go as a replacement and to my surprice 3D together with suspend to disk still does NOT work with neither opensource nor proprietary drivers.

Never ever buy NVIDIA.
mariusm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-06, 10:49 AM   #6
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Please note that whether or not ACPI S3/S4 work does not depend exclusively on the NVIDIA Linux graphics driver, mileage varies greatly with the systems' hardware (other devices, etc.) and software (Linux kernel, drivers, etc.) configuration. Please also note that most AGP specific power management problems are observed with the Linux AGPGART driver and are caused by missing suspend/resume functionality in AGPGART backend drivers. If you are using AGPGART, have trouble with power management unless you disable AGP and if your chipset is supported by NvAGP, it is recommended that you use NvAGP. For some additional details, see http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/L...ppendix-q.html.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote