Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-23-03, 01:10 PM   #1
brg3982

Default Open GL, Xinerama, two monitors

Ok, I have given up on twinview and two video devices (cards) and gone back to xinerama. This leaves OpenGL basically intact except it centers the video on the center of my TWO screens, not the one it can (does) display too, so I get half of the Open GL displayed as if half my monitor were blank (but I am using two monitors). Does that make any sense?

ANyway, is there a GL configuration to tell it where to display how much of what?
brg3982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-03, 05:03 PM   #2
bwkaz

Use a window manager that understands the Xinerama information that the server has available. Window managers that understand Xinerama don't (unless you tell them to) put windows across both screens.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-03, 11:15 AM   #3
brg3982

I was laboring under the (mis?)conception that KDE 3.1.1 was xinerama aware. If it isn't, can I, and how do I, inform it that I am all xinerama-ish. Seems like I remember a radio button in KDE 3 that I can't find now.

Plus, it is really annoying that the Task bar won't span the two screens, but reserves space for it on the second.
brg3982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-03, 01:12 PM   #4
bwkaz

I don't know, never having used KDE in a twinview (or other dual-monitor) setup. But I do know that the Qt library has a compile-time option to enable Xinerama support, but its configure script says "breaks on RH 6.something", so perhaps whoever compiled your distro's Qt looked at that and didn't enable it? Each of KDE's packages also has an --enable-xinerama option that's off by default.

You might (might) be able to go to www.trolltech.com and get the latest source for Qt, then compile it yourself, but it's quite in-depth; maybe just ask around at wherever you got Qt and/or KDE from (like the distro's website) to see if they compiled it with Xinerama?
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote