Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-15-06, 04:56 PM   #1
connogriofa

Default GeForce FX 5200 scrolling speed, Beryl

Hi,

I have two separate issues. Firstly, I'm noticing sluggish scrolling on my system (Ubuntu 6.10, FX 5200) with firefox. When scrolling up and down certain (not all) sites I'm experiencing noticeable delay/sluggishness. For example, http://www.torrentspy.com/ or to a lesser degree, any wikipedia sites with substantial image content; e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borat:_..._of_Kazakhstan

Using konqueror, these sites scroll without any delay or jerkiness, so I think it may be a GTK rendering issue. I have downloaded the official build of firefox and ran with a clean profile, but the slowness persists. The sluggishness is present when Composite is enabled or disabled, and I'm testing without Beryl/Compiz (I realize they can impact scrolling speed).

I found a fix:
Code:
nvidia-settings -a InitialPixmapPlacement=0
This gives much better scrolling speed on most sites. However, with this setting enabled, beryl refuses to run. I'm posting a bug report and the log from beryl's crash, and I'm wondering if it's possible to run a compositing manager with the above setting, or else to somehow improve scrolling speed in another way?

Thanks,
Conn
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (112.9 KB, 85 views)
File Type: log beryl-crash.log (10.8 KB, 92 views)
connogriofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-06, 07:31 PM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: GeForce FX 5200 scrolling speed, Beryl

Does setting InitialPixmapPlacement to 2 help?
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-06, 09:04 PM   #3
connogriofa

Default Re: GeForce FX 5200 scrolling speed, Beryl

Nope, doesn't help. Without Beryl, scrolling is smoothest at 0, bad at the default (1) and much worse at 2 (every site seems sluggish when scrolling). Beryl crashes when InitialPixmapPlacement=0, but works when set to 1 or 2. While Beryl is running, performance is the same: sluggish when set to 1, even worse at 2.

By the way, is it normal for the driver not to set the mtrr range correctly? I have a script sets it correctly for my system:

Code:
echo "base=0xe0000000 size=0x10000000 type=write-combining" >| /proc/mtrr
The script is not active while I'm troubleshooting this issue, however, as I don't know if it does more harm than good.

Edit: I know there's a kind of "leak" in EXT_texture_from_pixmap that causes Beryl/Compiz to run out of texture memory, i.e.

Code:
beryl: pixmap 0x38000fa can't be bound to texture
beryl: Couldn't bind redirected window 0xc04257 to texture
However, I noticed that when InitialPixmapPlacement=2 this behaviour appears to manifest very soon after Beryl starts, rather than after many windows/movies are opened when set to 1. Perhaps this is related to non-compositing slowness, I don't know...
connogriofa is offline   Reply With Quote