Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-14-06, 08:10 PM   #1
HankNV

Default 9629 and Geforce2 MX400 Black Screen

Am still having to set the NvAGP option to 0 in the config file to keep the driver from freezing the system. Loading the driver completely locks up the system and am not able to log in with ssh to get a report.

The attached log file was generated with NvAGP set to 0 and while X was running as instructed. However, have not been able to glean any report whatsover while using the default settings ("Option" "NvAGP" "3").

I have seen this card, however, run about 2 to 3 times faster when the AGP options were working. I wish I could remember the combination of kernel version and driver version. Feel like downgrading to get this thing to work like it should.

If anybody has any hints on how to glean some more debugging information, please feel free to post them. Have a working linux system sitting next to it that can log in via the network.

Thanks,

Hank
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (91.1 KB, 98 views)
HankNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-06, 09:07 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: 9629 and Geforce2 MX400 Black Screen

I'm not sure that I understand the problem you're reporting. Are you stating that with NvAGP=0 everything works ok, although performance isn't good, or is there some additional problem here?

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-06, 12:06 PM   #3
HankNV

With Option "NvAGP" "0"

Everything seems to work fine when you disable the AGP. But I've had this card working before with the AGP at 2x a few years back with older kernels and different X versions. Much better performance.

Anyway, was able to cull some better feedback using different settings in the boot kernel with the AGP enabled. Attached a couple different bug reports using different settings. In one instance, the cursor disappeared and a few horizontal lines appeared across the screen. In the other instance, the screen just froze.

However, was able to ping the system. But when using the ssh the keyboard still wouldn't respond.

Hope this helps you out.

Hank
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (84.1 KB, 88 views)
Old 11-15-06, 12:10 PM   #4
HankNV

Here's the other bugreport.

Hank
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report1.log (82.0 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by HankNV; 11-15-06 at 12:13 PM. Reason: add attachment
Old 11-15-06, 12:32 PM   #5
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

The fact that everything is functional with NvAGP=0 suggests that you're hitting an AGP driver bug, not an nvidia driver bug. This is further backed up by the fact that some older kernel version worked ok, so there was likely a bug introduced into the agp driver in the kernel.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 11-15-06, 01:17 PM   #6
HankNV

Arrow Re: 9629 and Geforce2 MX400 Black Screen

Just a suggestion.

I think it would a good idea if NVidia had a table for each card where users could post working configurations. The table should have the card name, the driver version, the kernel version.

For example

Mx400

Linux Kernel | Driver 9624 | 9625 | 9626 | etc
----------------------------------------------------------------------
2.4.32----------- o -----------o
2.6.17------------x------------o
2.6.18 -----------o
etc

I think this would greatly help the user find a usable configuration. As well as a valuable tool in finding the beginning of a bug between the linux kernel and the driver.

Hank
Old 11-15-06, 01:24 PM   #7
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Unfortunately, such a table would oversimplify the situation, as there are many other factors involved beyond just the GPU, driver version & kernel version.
Old 11-15-06, 01:29 PM   #8
HankNV

It would still provide a point of reference. Many other architectures provide the same services and it helps to narrow down the problem.

I think the consumer would like to know what board works with what kernel and what driver. It should help him to make an intelligent decision on a purchase.

Of course, I don't know who comes first. The customer or the manufacturer?

Edited. Now that you mention it, I don't think I've ever got this MX400 working on AGP. The one I had working was an NVidia TNT2 64. It was a Viper V770 card. And looking over the posts. I seem to see similar mesages.

Problems on MX400.

TNT2 64 works fine.

Now if I had a table, that would have helped me out.

Hank

Last edited by HankNV; 11-15-06 at 04:56 PM.

Old 12-29-06, 05:09 PM   #9
HankNV

Have just finished my latest hardware tests on the NVIDIA drivers for 9629.

It works on a Intel BX Chipset board (SuperMicro P6DBE) with AGP enabled using a TNT2 M64.
However, this is using the kernel's AGPGART instead of NVidia's. Nvidia's agpgart crashes the system: i.e. black screen of death.

It does not work with a GEForce2 MX200, or a GEForce2 MX400 with agp enabled. Only works with NvidiaAgp=0 option set.

And just got my GeForce4 MX440 (64MB DDR) from Ebay. It works. Yea. AGP is working. Haven't tried Nvidia's agp yet. Will have to recompile the kernel. So, apparently the problem is not in the kernel agp code, if the MX440 works? Would seem to be the logical conclusion. The problem must be in the driver code for the Geforce MX200 and GeForce MX400 in using the AGP code. So after going through 4 Nvidia cards for my SuperMicro P6DBE, finally found 1 that works with halfway decent performance: GeForce4 MX440.

Hank