Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-18-03, 05:32 PM   #1
tkloppel

Default System Drivers Issue

Will any of the RPMs for the System Drivers work on RH9.0, or do I have to compile them from the source?

Im thinking the latest one will work, am i wrong?
tkloppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-03, 01:15 PM   #2
briansladecek

Default Re: System Drivers Issue

Quote:
Originally posted by tkloppel
Will any of the RPMs for the System Drivers work on RH9.0, or do I have to compile them from the source?

Im thinking the latest one will work, am i wrong?
If by "system drivers" you mean the NVIDIA drivers, then yes the RPMs should work. If I remember correctly on my Redhat 9 box, I used the NVIDIA self-installer to update to the latest NVIDIA driver revision, but I didn't know that NVIDIA uses RPM's for this process. I'm pretty sure the installer said it found a matching driver for my kernel/distribution and went about it's business without providing me any more information...like downloading an RPM for my distribution. I hope I understood your question.

thanks,

Brian Sladecek
briansladecek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-03, 07:56 PM   #3
jimbob0i0
ATI Geek

Send a message via ICQ to jimbob0i0 Send a message via Yahoo to jimbob0i0

you are confused......

when he says system drivers i'd assume he's talking about the nforce drivers.... the answer there is no the RPMs won't work. Also you cannot compile from source at present due to a bug unless you install a vanilla kernel first... Redhat's series 9 kernels with TLS enabled will not compile the 0256 driver.... hopefully they will be fixing this soon...

teh auto-installer thing you are thinking of brian is the new geforce driver which uses a shell script to check the kernel and distribution version and automatically download/compile the driver.
jimbob0i0 is offline   Reply With Quote