Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-06-07, 03:48 AM   #1
gostview

Unhappy just installed GeForce 6, but...

Hi all, I've just installed a new GeForce 6 series 6200 PNY tech on my ubuntu dapper AMD 64bit, all gone well with the and the tutorial read in this forum, http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72490 but it is strange that none Device was identify in xorg.conf, although all seems go well.
here the xorg.conf:

Section "Device"
Identifier "NVIDIA Corporation NV40? [Unknown nVidia Card]"
Driver "nvidia"
EndSection

By the way, this is the third graphic card I've changed in the last year, and they cost me a lot, the other two (GeForce 5200 128 and GeForce 5200 256) had got strange problem after a while, like graphic freezy and some strange crash and at least, after all, they stoped to work, although I installed them with sh Nvidia installer and in a perfectly way.

What kind of problem they could have had?
there a know bug? or more simple is a bad configuration.
Please help me.

P.S
Sorry if my english is not perfectly.
gostview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-07, 12:46 PM   #2
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: just installed GeForce 6, but...

If your question is why the Device section doesn't need to reference the GeForce 6200 explicitely, then the answer is that the GPUs are enumerated by the NVIDIA Linux kernel module; the NVIDIA X driver will use the first of those GPUs if there's a single Device section without an explicit BusID.

As to the problems with the GeForce 5200 GPUs, please see http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46678.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-07, 02:03 PM   #3
gostview

Question Re: just installed GeForce 6, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander
If your question is why the Device section doesn't need to reference the GeForce 6200 explicitely, then the answer is that the GPUs are enumerated by the NVIDIA Linux kernel module; the NVIDIA X driver will use the first of those GPUs if there's a single Device section without an explicit BusID.

As to the problems with the GeForce 5200 GPUs, please see http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46678.
Sorry but, this spring out two new questions, first:
if the GPUs are enumerated by the NVIDIA Linux kernel module, for the correct works of Graphic Card, is it important that GPUs recognize the reference, or it's indifferent for the optimum functionality? and, if it's really important, there's a way to make those, or this, GPUs see the reference of my graphic card ?

Second question is:
After I read the link you post to me above, could I think that the reason why the last two graphic cards stoped to work, was for an unstable kernel like 2.6.17-10 ?

Sorry if I am borin about that, but I'm quite newby of linux configuration, and I'm afraid that my graphic card will break again.
gostview is offline   Reply With Quote