Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-28-06, 09:21 AM   #1
piotrq__

Unhappy 8774 & gamma control

Hi!

I've just installed x.org 7.1 on my suse 10.1 box and threw 8774 drivers to get everything working as it should, but it's not working as it should :-) It's not something big, but it's kinda annoying. You see I have reduced the default brightness level of my screen to stop my LCD from burning my eyes, and now the problem is that I can't control XV brightness when I want to play a movie... Some movies are simply sometimes too dark with my reduced brighntess, so I increase it using MPlayer's options. At least this is how it used to work because this trick is not avaible with 8774 drivers anymore...
What MPlayer returns is:
Video attribute 'brightness' is not supported by selected vo & vd!
Xorg 7.1's "nv" driver works fine...

I've already tried vo gl2, but for some reason it is veeeeeryyyyy slooooow... And again I think that this is the driver's fault, there must be something messed-up with OpenGL rendering, because with 8762 I had like 2000 FPS in glxgears and now with 8774 I get ~400 FPS... I know that glxgers ain't a benchmark, but the performance drop is pretty big
and I had no problems with mplayer's vo gl2 under 8762.

It's not that I'm flaming, or sth, nVIDIA support is really good, but there always are some problems with these drivers... You guys solve two big problems, but give us four new, minor bugs instead... Can't you simply start publishing some beta versions of these drivers, to receive nice bug reports from us and eliminate all there small (probably unnoticed during internal testing) glitches and publish a final set of drivers that will be nice to users, and will only blow their system up if they use non-standard patched-up, tweaked and hacked kernel on super exotic 6x quad core, dual SLI, 8 displays system?

I know that video playback problem is not something big, but come on guys there's ALWAYS something messed up! Either TV-OUT is not working, or OpenGL is sloooow, or console switching messes the display up, or font rendering is slower then drawing them on the screen with a pen, or X server crashes when someone start an instant messaging app...

Maybe you guys should try to solve these small things first and start adding new fancy features AFTER that?

Ummm... Yeah... Sorry :-)

It's GF3 Ti200, brightness control was avaible when I had X.Org 6.9 (with Composite and RenderAccel) and 8762.

Oh! And there's one more thing! I've just noticed that, I see tearing on the screen like if there was no vertical sync when I play fulscreen videos...

Last edited by piotrq__; 08-29-06 at 08:42 AM.
piotrq__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-06, 09:33 AM   #2
Thunderbird

Default Re: 8774 & gamma control

Please mention what type of GPU you are using.

Modern Geforce6/7 GPUs (except for the first NV40 generation) don't support video overlay anymore in hardware. Some basic blitting is done for those when Xv is used. For these boards options like XV_BRIGHTNESS aren't available anymore though I don't think this is what's wrong in your case.

Further on cards that DO support 'real' Xv, this support is disabled in some cases. For instance it is disabled when Composite is enabled.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-07, 07:00 PM   #3
kokoko3k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird
Please mention what type of GPU you are using.

Modern Geforce6/7 GPUs (except for the first NV40 generation) don't support video overlay anymore in hardware.
I've a Geforce 7900GS which has hardware overlay support (at least, windows said that...), but i can't figure out how to enable it under linux.
kokoko3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 03:03 AM   #4
Thunderbird

There's really no hardware overlay support anymore but the drivers handle it in a different way in hardware/software. Just select the Xv renderer in a media player of your choice and you are using it.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 07:23 AM   #5
kokoko3k

That's confusing me, because (on the windows side) it acts exactly like the it should if it was HW accelerated, i mean:
transparent color key, unable to make a screenshot of the play window, only one surface available at time and color controls available.
Are you sure ?
kokoko3k is offline   Reply With Quote