Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-05-07, 02:24 PM   #157
OWA

Default Re: Finally got a PS3, thanks LurkerLito!!

Okay, the tripod definitely seems to help. Here are some from Ridge Racer 7.

OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-07, 12:51 AM   #158
LurkerLito

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWA
Be sure to post your impressions of Stargate once you watch it. Out of the 7 blu-ray movies I now have, Stargate is the only one that has really disappointed me. According to the AVS list, it's a tier 2 movie (Very good -- Not as many 3D effects, but a very sharp image that feels real) but I think The Fifth Element, one that is tier 4 (the worst ranking), looks a lot better. Makes me wonder if I got a bad copy or something.

Edit: I think something might have been wrong. I'm watching Stargate again tonight since I stopped after a few minutes last time it looked so bad. It looks fine this time. I wonder if the PS3 just had a glitch or something.

Edit 2: Nevermind, I wasn't quite as far as long as I was the first time. I'm seeing some of the same kind of stuff again.

Thanks and thanks for the tip.
Well I got the BR movies today and I just popped in Stargate for a bit. I didn't finish watching it since it is getting late.

Impressions so far...sound quality blows away the HD-DVD addon, this is because of the bug in MS's HD-DVD player so MS better get that update finished ASAP. PQ is decent, but could be a lot better. The picture seems softer than what I expect from a Hi-def picture. This disc definitely has some mastering issues. Details are good but seem to vary here and there, but there is A LOT of film grain but the funny thing is the grain seems to also vary in severity from scene to scene. I popped in my extend cut DVD of this movie into my upconverting DVD player and the BR definitely is better, but I wouldn't use this disc to show off hi-def video.

I have Black Hawk Down but I won't watch that till the weekend since I never saw it before and I want to watch it beginning to end .

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-07, 03:07 PM   #159
OWA

Okay, that's what I noticed also. So far, it seems to be the only one I've noticed that with. I bought Descent recently since it has a lot of low-lighting/dark scenes. In Stargate, that was where I noticed the most problems but Descent was really good all the way through though (didn't notice any issues). They need to lower Stargate on the AVS list. I'm not sure what they were thinking.
Old 01-14-07, 01:39 AM   #160
Bad_Boy
god of war.

Send a message via AIM to Bad_Boy

Anybody interested, best buy is having a sale for 7 blu-ray movies jan 14th onwards...should be in the sunday paper.
Quote:
Buy 1, Get 1 Free This Week - Offer Good only on these 7 Titles:

$24.99 Each:
House of Flying Daggers
Kung Fu Hustle
Black Hawk Down

$29.99 Each:
Monster House
Click
Talladega Nights: Ballad Of Ricky Bobby
Underworld: Evolution

The freebie must be of same or equal value.
not a bad deal. but whatever you do, dont get house of flying daggers. Good movie but the transfer is horrible. Even the PS Store trailer looked horrible. I'd probably skip Talladega Nights as well. Everything else seems good if you dont own it already.

to make this deal even sweeter, if you use the 10 dollar rebate coupons that came with the ps3, you can knock off even more.
Old 01-14-07, 07:35 AM   #161
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Yeah I knew about this deal coming up (AVS forums) and I want to buy Click and get BHD free.

And I don't see how you people butcher your covers to get 10 dollars back :\.

EDIT: Sadly I can't go today... freaking roads are going to be iced over .
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 09:35 AM   #162
1337_Like_ThaT
O.U.T.L.A.W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWA
Well, I went and got a cheapo tripod but unfortunately, the base moves a little when pushing the button. So, I guess I'll have to read the manual to see how to use the timer. Here is a sample from the tripod but I forgot to freeze the screen before taking the shot. Still, I think it might be a little clearer.

While I was at the store I went ahead and picked up the remote for the PS3 and two more movies (I got the blu-ray version of The Covenant and the blu-ray version of Stargate). I knew I'd do this. With the X360, I just got it to see what it was all about and the next thing I knew, I had bought a bunch of stuff for it. Oh well, it's fun...until I look at my bank account.
Sweet I didn't know there was a bluetooth remote for the PS3. I'll be sure to pick one of those up

Gaming Rig
Inte Core 2 Duo 6700 @ 3.2ghz | EVGA nForce 680i | G.Skill DDR2 800mhz 4-4-4-12 @ 2.0v | Western Digital RaptorX 150GB | Western Digital 500GB SATA II | EVGA 8800GTS 512MB | Plextor PX-716SA DVD-RW | Plextor PX-755SA DVD-RW DL | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 | Antec 900 BLK | Dell FPW 2005 20.1" WS | IceMat 2nd. Ed. MousePad | Logitech G15 | Logitech G9 |

160GB (60GB) PS3 Owner | DS3 Controllers | PSN: Res215dg
PSP 3000 Black + 16GB Memory Stick Duo *Locked and Ready for Resistance Retribution*
1337_Like_ThaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 10:02 AM   #163
LurkerLito

Well I have the PS3 remote and it's OK. The button layout is not that great IMO, but the worst thing about it is there is no backlighting so you will have to memorize where the buttons are. Since I watch with the lights out and at night it really sucks. I didn't really like the XBox360 remote that came with the addon but at least it has backlighting and I could see the buttons when I watch a show. I never use the 360 one since I have a universal, but the PS3 is bluetooth so it can't be programmed into your universal.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 01:24 PM   #164
OWA

Yeah, the layout takes some getting use to and not having any backlighting is a pain when it's dark (until you get use to the remote anyway) but I love the fact that it's bluetooth. Because of where my stuff is located, my other remotes drive me crazy. I have to hold the remote up high (pointing down) or down low below the coffee table. With the PS3 remote, it works great no matter where I hold it. I've pretty much learned the buttons I need for movies so now I can operate the remote in the dark. I have to do that with all my other remotes anyway since the X360 one is the only one that has backlighting.

Here is a pic of the remote (and the 360 remote).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PS3 remote.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	23517  

Old 01-14-07, 04:26 PM   #165
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

thats only ugly remove, looks like a remote for a TV from the late 80s/early 90s
Old 01-14-07, 04:55 PM   #166
|MaguS|

I think it looks better then the X360's, it looks like a toy...
Old 01-14-07, 05:03 PM   #167
toxikneedle
this.is.a.chemical.burn

Send a message via AIM to toxikneedle Send a message via MSN to toxikneedle

logitech's harmony 360 remote ftw