Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-26-03, 10:06 PM   #1
yojimbo

Default MDK 9.1 - Nvidia driver still shows "Generic" after update?

Just installed the newest drivers from Nvidia in my clean install of Mandrake 9.1. The Driver installer said it completed sucessfully and I changed that "Nv" thing to "Nvidia". At boot, I see Nvidia's splash screen, but in Mandrakes hardware list, it shows my card model number (GF4 MX 440), BUT, it said "(Generic)" after it.. The only reason I'm concerned is that it said that BEFORE I udated the driver AND, a couple of the 3D games that came with MDK 9.1 dont boot now?
yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-03, 10:27 PM   #2
bwkaz

The "generic" string means nothing. It's just Mandrake's internal way of classifying your card.

When you say the games "don't start", what do you mean? What happens when you run them from a terminal? Post the output here.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-03, 04:06 PM   #3
yojimbo

Default Have not tried terminal

Still new at this, a terminal is a 'konsole', right?.. Also, it seems MDK 9.1 comes with several kinsoles, which one is the one everyone uses?

Thank you for telling me about the 'generic' thing!

I will try to run a game in a console when I get back from my errands this morning...

What is happening now when I try to start a couple of the games is that (this is in KDE, by the way) they show as a title box in the task bar, with an hour glass, and then a few seconds later the title box goes away and nothing happens... one game I can think of the name of right now is that 'Armagetron' (tron like lite cycles)game.... before I installed the new Nvidia driver that game and one or two others would start-up, but run at about 3 fps, making it impossible to play...Now they dont work at all. I dont have any other good 3d games for linux yet to test the card out.
Old 04-29-03, 02:21 PM   #4
yojimbo

Default Well.....

Well I tried to start the game from a console with no luck (I dont want to wast your time) as I am still too new to linux. However I noticed another game that does it (never starts), as well as a music (midi) appplication...so maybe something else is at work here.

Does anyone know how to truly test that the card is ok? Is there an Open Gl tester I can try...? I tried to run some Open Gl screen savers and they run horribly slow (slow fps)... I have a P4 2.53 hz w/512MB DDR 400 and the last thing I though would run slow would be the screen savers... its like I'm using my old 166Mhz !!

Once again, I believe I installed the Nvidia Drivers correctly, I just want to see it in action!
Old 04-29-03, 02:48 PM   #5
Andy Mecham
l33t master

Please post the logs/info requested in http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...&threadid=9614 here.

--andy
Old 04-29-03, 05:56 PM   #6
bwkaz

Default Re: Have not tried terminal

Quote:
Originally posted by yojimbo
Still new at this, a terminal is a 'konsole', right?..
Yes.

Quote:
Also, it seems MDK 9.1 comes with several kinsoles, which one is the one everyone uses?
"Everyone" doesn't only use one of them. People use what they like. I like Eterm, but that's because I know how its translucent background works. Konsole (from KDE) works pretty well, xterm works pretty well, and so do the myriad of others. They all run the same shell inside them, though, so anything you can do from one, you should be able to do from all of them.

Quote:
What is happening now when I try to start a couple of the games is that (this is in KDE, by the way) they show as a title box in the task bar, with an hour glass, and then a few seconds later the title box goes away and nothing happens...
Yeah, that sounds like the games are printing an error message. But when you don't run them from a shell, you never see that error.

Quote:
Well I tried to start the game from a console with no luck (I dont want to wast your time)
Don't worry about it. What got printed when you ran it from the shell? You might try gamename >log.txt 2>&1, as well (but replace gamename, obviously ), then just attach the log.txt file, but if the messages printed are short, then don't worry about that.
Old 05-01-03, 02:36 PM   #7
yojimbo

Default Unable to locate!

When I was talking about wasing your time, I didn't want to bother you with simple things like...

- In windows, you can right-click a shortcut and find which directory the actual program is i, and then run the EXE.. here I dont know what directory the games are in PLUS, I dont know what the list of execuables for linux are. While I was installing the linux driver, I had to type 'sh' nvidiadriver.run <enter>... I could try the 'sh' thing, but dont want to mess something up.. here is where I figured I will get a book about linux before I waste your time in the wrong forum thread.. :-) Luckily, I was around during the 'DOS' days and arent as bad off as some people...

-Not only are two of the games that came with MDK 9.1 not starting, I also discovred a MIDI music program that does the same thing also (just starts as a button in the task bar, and then goes away and never launches).... I assumed the games to be because of incorrectly installed Nvidia driver, but this other program as well? Maybe it used Open GL as well...

Anyway, If you still want to help, give me a quick lesson on opening one of these things in a console (finding the game in its directory) and the command to run it at the prompt and I'll give it a try..

Also later today or tonight I'll post the contents of my x86x?? file (above) and hopefully my settings are off.. Thank you!
Old 05-01-03, 02:52 PM   #8
bwkaz

Games don't get "their own directory", most of the time. Some of them will put a game-specific subdirectory under /usr/games or /usr/local/games (or /usr/share even), but that's for game-specific data, not the binaries. The Windows practice of "a separate folder under Program Files for every package installed" isn't really applicable. The reason for that is mostly because there aren't shortcuts to everything on a lot of people's machines, so the binaries get put into /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin. Most of the time.

Anyway, what games are you trying to start? You should just be able to type the game's name into a terminal, but that does depend on the game.

TuxRacer, for example, gets started by tuxracer. I'm not sure what else you have, but if you can post it, I can take a look at installing it and finding out.