Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-27-07, 10:20 PM   #13
Marvel_us
FOOL!

Default Re: any confirmed price breaks or major revisions for 360 anytime soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynnek
No, I look at it a different way.. A good computer(which I want to get anyways minus the graphics card to do other stuff besides gaming) with a good DX10 card will keep games looking about the same level or better than a 360 for the next 4 years or more(tweak graphic details when necessary as time goes on), since console graphics don't really change too too much.

I mean, my primary computer is still a 6800GT going on its 3rd year now. Its about the time I do a complete upgrade (every 3 years or so)

A 360 wold make more sense as a Windows media extender if only CableCard tech was more mature (and supported) and actually out for build it yourselfer's..

A 3rd option, which actually may be feasible is to take a break this year from games, and wait till 2008 to pick up both at reduced cost (I'm assuming by 2008 the 360's gotta drop by at least $50-100 in price, while say a 8800GTX equiv will probably be down by $100-200)
Lol, "with a good dx10 card blah blah blah"......First off there are no dx10 games out and G80 is the ONLY dx10 card out. Do what you want though. You probably already made up your mind that G80 > Xbox360. So just get that and be done with it.

60gb PS3 Owner
PSNid: Marvel_us
Marvel_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-07, 08:23 AM   #14
Alaa
Peace

I think that there should be a PC/console hybrid in the future... Maybe from Microsoft and Sony. It should have keyboard and mouse (proper way to write- and to control in FPS) of course with controller for other games and gets hardware upgrades (like graphics card, CPU etc...) every 1-1.5 year which has things in common with the old hardware but updated in one way or another to keep us up to date with new technologies. Well It should be released by the company itself (Sony or Microsoft). what do you think?

Sorry off topic.

Last edited by Alaa; 01-28-07 at 04:46 PM.
Alaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-07, 01:03 PM   #15
ynnek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaa
I guess that there should be a PC/console hybrid in the future... Maybe from Microsoft and Sony. It should have keyboard and mouse (proper way to write- and to control in FPS) of course with controller for other games and gets hardware upgrades (like graphics card, CPU etc...) every 1-1.5 year which has things in common with the old hardware but updated in one way or another to keep us up to date with new technologies. Well It should be released by the company itself (Sony or Microsoft). what do you think?

Sorry off topic.

Well, Microsoft definitely wants to keep the 360 outside the space off a home computer.. which is why they won't release a mouse and keyboard for it. I've wonder if the reason is they are afraid of selling too many 360's without selling enough games to balance out the cost... They don't make money off the consoles itself.. Its the accessories and the games they money from.. A person buying a 360 as a home computer probably won't buy many games if any at all (remember, the avg person DOESN'T play vid games)

Also, consoles that update themselves every 1.5 years is interesting, but also poses some problems. The game developers have to then worry about another hardware combo, which goes against a consoles selling point of standardized hardware..

Also, I'd think production costs would be driven down after years of production so that in the later years, it would be easier to sell consoles for less/make more money off of them...(being it say Microsoft, or the actual chip manufacturer themselves).. If you keep updating the hardware, that whole business model might change..

Also, By end of Feb/March, there *may be* a few more DX10 cards(ATI and new Nvidia derivates), and the new games will arrive(dx10 or not), thats what I meant.. I'm still on the fence on the decision actually. I guess the root cause for my hesitation on either is I don't exactly see many current and new games on either platform (PC and 360) that particularly excite me personally to drop $400ish on either a gfx card or a console... which is why I'm taking my time to decide which one to get..
ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-07, 01:08 PM   #16
toxikneedle
this.is.a.chemical.burn

Send a message via AIM to toxikneedle Send a message via MSN to toxikneedle

What seperates a console from a PC isn't the controller vs. the mouse and keyboard. The greatest seperation comes from the diversity of hardware and the upgradeability of a pc and the lack of that in a console. Most of the guys on this forum would never want to give up their ability to change and upgrade their hardware and a lot of us here in console forum, bought a console so we don't have to keep upgrading it like our PCs.
Old 01-28-07, 01:15 PM   #17
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxikneedle
What seperates a console from a PC isn't the controller vs. the mouse and keyboard. The greatest seperation comes from the diversity of hardware and the upgradeability of a pc and the lack of that in a console. Most of the guys on this forum would never want to give up their ability to change and upgrade their hardware and a lot of us here in console forum, bought a console so we don't have to keep upgrading it like our PCs.
this is exactly right. i like the upgradeability that my PC offers and i like the fact that i can go out and buy a 360 game and its guaranteed to work at a decent framerate.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-07, 01:46 PM   #18
ynnek

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxikneedle
Well, IMO, I think there are some types of games that are hobbled by NOT having a mouse and keyboard... FPS(although most people accept playing thru console controlelrs) and RTS and RPG games.

Also, lots of the games on console feel "tuned down", with huge GUI screens, arcady and casual gameplay feel. (RPG and Racing games)

IOW, its the types of games available for PC and console, not having a keyboard and mouse is one aspect of that.. I have to say, with this generation, the lines are blurred a lot more though... But consoles will still never get the moddability, complexity community of some PC games.

But then again, thanks to console's hardware standardization, consoles are better for other games such as platformers, fighting, and sports games (like soccer, football, etc), since the console controls go perfect with these games, and you never have to worry about fluid performance.

So to me, it comes down to, what types of games do you want to play, and what platform will they be available for?
ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-07, 02:19 PM   #19
Marvel_us
FOOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86
this is exactly right. i like the upgradeability that my PC offers and i like the fact that i can go out and buy a 360 game and its guaranteed to work at a decent framerate.
Qft, I don't like the fact that my gpu will be outdated every 6 months and newer games with better gfx will run like crap on what used to be considered "high end". With consoles, graphics will get better due to optimizations and I don't have to worry about upgrading or finding a driver that works best with a certain game.

60gb PS3 Owner
PSNid: Marvel_us
Marvel_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-07, 04:44 PM   #20
Alaa
Peace

Maybe 1 upgrade per console? assume that X console lives for 5 years and gets hardware upgrades after 2-3 years which follow the same Y standard which was chosen by the company for that release so that we have CPU(old-new) GPU(old-new) RAM(old-new). This way will ensure comfortability and limited problems. Upgrading 1 time is easy IMO. and will ensure that your "old" version plays the new games. better I guess?
Alaa is offline   Reply With Quote