Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-22-02, 01:47 PM   #1
sindra

Question Riva TNT 2 - Debian (Woody) chipset problem

Hi there,

I've got a problem with my new installed Debian (Woody).
After downloading and installing all necessary XFree packages and all this KDE and Gnome Stuff and rebooting the system, the X server doesn't start.
I get the following error message :

(WW) VGA: Chipset "RIVATNT" in Device Section "Generic Video Card" isn't valid for this driver
(EE) No devices detected

Fatal server error:
no screens found

Does Debian needs another driver package or something like that. I'm really NOOB with Linux. Can anyone help?

My grafic card is :

RIVA TNT 2 Model 64
Old 08-23-02, 11:21 AM   #2
QDog

Default Some places to start.

In the Device section of your XF86Config[-4] file it looks like you have a "Chipset" (or Option "chipset") line. You can probably comment out that line since the chipset will be auto-probed when X starts. Other than that make sure your Driver line is correct.

Since you are new to Linux, I would recommend reading the following mannual pages for more background information:

X
XF86Config

The X man page can point you to lots of other documentation. It's more of an overview of the X-window system. Also, you should be able to get documentation in German if that is your prefered language, just check your package manager (dselect by default).

FYI some usefull document tools aside from man are apropos, which searches the mannual database for a string you provide and info, which some programers (particularly GNU) seem to prefer as a documentation method (though they generaly provide man pages as well)
Old 08-25-02, 03:23 AM   #3
sindra

Question thanks....but

thanks for your help.

ok, I read those documents but I can't find a solution for my Problem.

And it's difficult to comment something out, when you have no idea of using linux without X window system.

Could you give me sort of a walkthrough to command out the mentionend line in my xfree86config??
Old 08-25-02, 03:45 AM   #4
crazyowl

assuming u know how to navigate thru your filesystem
using ls - list director contents and cd - change dir etc

change to the directory containing the Xf86config-4 file.
cd /etc/Xf8 (press tab for command completion)

use simple command line text editor pico to edit the file
pico Xf86config-4

the commands for pico are shown at the bottom of the editor just look at the structure of the config file and u will see lots of lines are commented out already with a # at the start if i remember right.
Just add a # to the line u want to comment out then press CTRL X
to quit pico .. it will prompt u if u want to save the modified file type Y for yes then ENTER to exit ......

hope that helps
crazyowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-02, 03:21 AM   #5
sindra

Default seems to work...

Tnx a lot.

I'll give it a try!