Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-03-07, 04:09 AM   #1
FNX

Default No sync in console mode upon vt-switch

A couple of days ago I replaced my Geforce 5200 based AGP card with a 6200 based one in my FC6 system. I made no other alterations, but now when I boot, although X does start & run fine with the nvidia driver, if I vt-switch (<Ctrl+Alt+Fn>) back to a console mode my monitor (Iiyama Vision Master Pro 454) reports no sync.

I *can* log in and do stuff, I just can't see it. I can also switch back to X on vt7 OK. I'll attach the bug report log as requested; it shows I use a vga= and a video= in my kernel boot, but I've tried without these, and also with a 'vga=normal' which was suggested in this forum 2-3 years ago, but to no avail.

Oh yes, and although I'm set up for running Beryl, I don't run it by default, so it's not that.

Any ideas what to try next?
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.log.zip (17.9 KB, 102 views)
FNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-07, 10:54 AM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: No sync in console mode upon vt-switch

Are you stating that this problem persists even if you boot without all of these options?
vga=0x0F01 video=vesa:ywrap quiet
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-07, 02:12 PM   #3
FNX

That's right, I've tried with both those options (which is what I started with), with just the vga one, with just the video one, with neither, and with 'vga=normal'. None of these combinations fixes the issue.

And again, all I changed was the card itself (5200 to 6200), no other changes; it was OK with the old card (but that was starting to play up, hence the newer one).
FNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-07, 11:22 AM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I'm not able to reproduce this problem with a GeForce 6200 in FC6, which suggests that this problem is specific to your environment. Have you verified that you're using the latest motherboard BIOS?
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-07, 01:09 PM   #5
majormeatbone

I have a similar problem. I had a GeForce 2MX, evetything worked fine, upgraded to a GeForce 6200 X works fine, console does not.
From lspci:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV44A [GeForce 6200] (rev a1)

When i switch from vt7 to vt1, all i get are some green, red and yellow boxes on random places on the screen.
I to can login and do stuff, but cant se them. vt7 works fine when switching back. (Same thing for the tv-out)

Running nvidia 1.0.9631-1 On Arch linux 0.8.

It has to be the nvidia driver that causes this, because the "nv" driver does not.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (90.9 KB, 98 views)

Last edited by majormeatbone; 02-04-07 at 01:35 PM. Reason: uploaded bug-report.log
majormeatbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-07, 02:07 PM   #6
jak

I also have a very similar problem.

I have nForce 430, GeForce 6150 (not sure if that is redundant?); my monitor is a 23 inch Apple cinema display.

I had an older monitor that I replaced yesterday with the ACD; I installed the latest nvidia linux amd64 bit driver successfully and my old monitor worked fine. In the process I set the runlevel to 3;

Thinking it was the safest thing to do, I booted up with the ACD at runlevel 3 but I got the "blank" screen of death right from the start. No setup/bios console stuff just "blank";

I searched the internet for hours trying to find similar experiences and there were a few but there were no solutions. What I didn't realize is that my setup would not work in "text/console" mode (runlevel 3).

Based upon a hunch from reading some posts, I again booted into runlevel 3 with the ACD.

I gave sufficient time for the boot to come to the login prompt.

Then I carefully logged into to the root account (remember I have a "blank" screen).

Hoping that I successfully logged in, I issued the command to change the runlevel to 5 and start X which for me is:

#telinit 5 // carefully typing this so that I made no mistakes cuz I couldn't see anything

and bam: X started just fine!

When in X, I was able to edit xorg.conf and set things up correctly for the ACD. I also set the runlevel to 5 for boot and rebooted successfully launching the x-server. But the screen is completely blank until the Xserver is started by init.

I cannot visit the console mode / bios setup stuff at all which is a major issue.

Is there a fix for this? I am using the absolutely latest bios.
jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-07, 03:01 PM   #7
jak

Details and Correction relevant to my post above:

Motherboard: m2npv-vm: GeForce 6150, nForce 430MCP
Correction: I'm using bios 0603 which is not quite the latest -- at this point its difficult to upgrade since I have a blank screen.

My driver is:
Version: 1.0-9746
Operating System: Linux x64 (AMD64/EM64T)
Release Date: December 21, 2006
jak is offline   Reply With Quote