Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-08-07, 12:20 PM   #1
avoncampe

Default Installing NVIDIA driver on newly installed (but not yet running) kernel

Here is the process I currently follow to install the NVIDIA driver on all the Linux systems I support (18 at last count) when a new kernel is released:

0. Install new kernel on all systems with yum

1. On a test system that is running the new kernel at run level 3, I run the NVIDIA installer script with the --add-this kernel option to create a custom script

2. I then install the driver on the test system using the modified script with the -s (silent) option

3. Next I switch to run level 5, and if everything appears to be working correctly, I am ready to upgrade all remaining systems

4. I then schedule a reboot with each user to boot the new kernel, and temporarily modify the kernel command line to only go to run level 3

5. I log in to the system as root, run the custom script with the -s option, and switch to run level 5

What I would like to do is to install the NVIDIA driver into the newly installed but not yet running kernel, to avoid having to schedule a time to reboot each user's machine and install the driver manually. This way they can reboot at their convenience to get the new kernel. Is this possible?

Thanks,
Alfred
avoncampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-07, 12:25 PM   #2
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Installing NVIDIA driver on newly installed (but not yet running) kernel

The --kernel-module-only command line option should do this.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-07, 12:58 PM   #3
avoncampe

Default Re: Installing NVIDIA driver on newly installed (but not yet running) kernel

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander
The --kernel-module-only command line option should do this.
Thanks for the quick response. I wonder how I've missed this option before. After creating a custom script for the new kernel, I just tried this option on another test system as follows:

./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9746-pkg1-2.6.9-42.0.8.EL.run -s -K -k 2.6.9-42.0.8.EL

But I get the following error:

ERROR: The '--kernel-module-only' option can only be used to install a kernel module on top of an existing driver
installation of the same driver version. The existing driver installation is 1.0-9631, but the kernel
module is 1.0-9746

In this case, I have both a new kernel and a new version of the NVIDIA driver, so this doesn't work. If I use the -9631 custom package to install the kernel module only with the above options, it works just fine (thanks!). I guess my follow up question is:

Can you install a new NVIDIA driver on a non-running kernel?

I expect the answer to be NO, but I'm hoping that there is a way. It would make upgrades a lot easier.

Thanks,
Alfred
avoncampe is offline   Reply With Quote