Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-12-07, 05:05 AM   #1
Descore
MythTV user

Default Beryl black screen -7950GX2/Ubuntu/amd64 - when switching back from another X session

Hi,

I have tried and tried to find a solution to this problem but to no avail so I decided to post here. I have seen some similar problems but none are exactly the same as what I am seeing.

Setup:

* XFX GeForce 7950GX2
* Asus M2N32SLI-Deluxe motherboard, latest BIOS
* Ubuntu Edgy amd64
* NVidia driver 9746 (also tried 9742 with same result)
* Kernel.org 2.6.20 kernel (also tried Ubuntu 2.6.17-11 with same result)
* Beryl 0.1.2-0ubuntu2

What happens is this:

1) User 1 is logged in and Beryl is active.

2) I switch away to User 2 with the Switch User feature (this creates a different X server).

3) User 2 logs in, also uses Beryl this works ok.

4) I switch back to User 1.

5) Now I only see a black screen with the mouse pointer.

At this point I can (from another PC) log in and killall -USR2 beryl-manager, (which switches back to Metacity WM), this will *sometimes* work and at other times it will crash the X server.

If I disable Beryl before switching away, there is no problem when switching back. So something is not getting restored properly.

There is a related bug case on the Beryl bug tracker: http://bugs.beryl-project.org/ticket/928

I would surely appreciate any help. I need Switch Users to convince my wife that Linux is better than Windows...

Cheers,
Descore
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (39.4 KB, 127 views)
Descore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-07, 09:28 AM   #2
gcostes

Default Re: Beryl black screen -7950GX2/Ubuntu/amd64 - when switching back from another X ses

Have you tried selecting "Force AIGLX" as the "Rendering platform" in the "Advanced Beryl options"? Just a thought...
gcostes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-07, 10:33 AM   #3
Descore
MythTV user

Default Re: Beryl black screen -7950GX2/Ubuntu/amd64 - when switching back from another X ses

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcostes
Have you tried selecting "Force AIGLX" as the "Rendering platform" in the "Advanced Beryl options"? Just a thought...

That's got it.. Well almost.. Now the screen turns white when I switch back, but if I type in the password it comes back. Which is acceptable if not ideal!

So thanks a lot. What does this option actually do? I thought "Nvidia" rendering was the way to go with these drivers.

/Descore
Old 02-12-07, 10:44 AM   #4
Descore
MythTV user

5 minutes later

It looked like it worked at first but after having it switched to AIXGL for a bit I realize that the performance is horrible compared to NVidia rendering.

I'm talking a factor 8 slowdown in frame rate when moving around the transparent cube. It becomes a bit useless like that, feels like running a Ferrari at 30 miles per hour. So I am still looking for a better solution.

/Descore
Old 02-12-07, 02:06 PM   #5
independence

I have the same problem, windows turn black after a while. It seems to relate to how many windows I have open, and how big those windows are. I can for example get the contents of the window back if I make it smaller in size.
I can also get the contents back of windows if I close a couple of other windows.
However, it's really frustrating not beeing able to use lot's of windows at the same time. It would be awesome if you could fix this bug! Everything else works perfectly!
Maybe it's some buffer or memory that's not big enough, and runs out after a while?

Edit1: Attached nvidia-bug-report.log from my system.
Attached Files
File Type: bz2 nvidia-bug-report.log.tar.bz2 (24.8 KB, 111 views)

Last edited by independence; 02-12-07 at 02:42 PM.
independence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-07, 04:11 PM   #6
gcostes

Unhappy Re: Beryl black screen -7950GX2/Ubuntu/amd64 - when switching back from another X ses

Yes - AIGLX rendering is a software rendering while Nvidia (or auto) is hardware managed so yes ... this solution reduce the performance...

For me it is still acceptable (benchmark of 250 frames / sec while Beryl running and 50 frame / sec while playing with the 3D cube).

The black window problem when using the Nvidia proprietary driver is well known and as far as I know there is no other solution so far other than using the AIGLX rendering (or indirect rendering). Unfortunate...
gcostes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-07, 02:46 PM   #7
aronparsons

I've been experiencing the same thing (which is not the more common "black windows bug"). If using NVIDIA as the rendering platform, if I take away focus from the display (either suspending to ram or switching to another VT), when I switch back the whole display is black and I can move the cursor for a few seconds. If I don't kill X within a few seconds, the machine stops responding to input and requires a hard reboot.

Using AIGLX solves this problem but is not ideal for performance and quality reasons. The framerates drop quite a bit using AIGLX, but not to the point where it hinders the beauty of Beryl; but knowing that using the NVIDIA rendering platform results in better performance, I would prefer to go that route. Also, using AIGLX introduces horrible video playback; lots of tearing occurs in videos and I can not solve that issue. I have tried changing the xine video driver between xv and opengl, but the issue stays. Using NVIDIA for the rendering platform in beryl results in perfect video playback.

One thing I did find that is a stop-gap for this problem is explicitly enabling AIGLX in my xorg.conf sped the rendering up; before doing this, many of the animations were jerky while using AIGLX as the platform. It may help someone in the meantime until a new driver is released.

My setup: openSuSE 10.2 x86_64, 7300GT, 9746 driver, beryl (latest svn build)
aronparsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-07, 05:09 PM   #8
TiAmo74

Thumbs up Re: Beryl black screen -7950GX2/Ubuntu/amd64 - when switching back from another X ses

I have solved the problem by turning off the "Sync to VBlank" Feature in the Beryl settings.
TiAmo74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-07, 07:16 PM   #9
aronparsons

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAmo74
I have solved the problem by turning off the "Sync to VBlank" Feature in the Beryl settings.
That solved the black screen problem, but introduced a new one. When switching back to the VT, the screen is drawn correctly but only mouse movement is recognized. So basically, the same problem with a colorful screen instead of a black one. ;-)
aronparsons is offline   Reply With Quote