Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-18-07, 10:00 PM   #1
SLippe
R.I.P. Babe Thread

Default Installing Vista on D:/ Drive of Raid 0 Config

Now, I know you can install Vista on a seperate partition, but is it any different installing it on a partition that is part of a Raid 0 config? I'd like to install it on my D:/ drive, but not sure if it will work since it's not an actual seperate drive per-say.
SLippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-07, 02:30 PM   #2
XDanger
Whaaat?

Default Re: Installing Vista on D:/ Drive of Raid 0 Config

im in the same boat , Somebody hurry up and answer !!!

Come to think of it ,The first time I installed vista (non raid) it just squeezed itself into the spare space. You need separate raid drivers for xp/vista though dont you ????

I tried puting vista in after id striped xp, It didnt like the drive, wrong raid driver I guess.

Im in no hurry to install vista though, I loose 2fps on FEAR with it!!!!
I may wait till I get some more drives.
Old 02-19-07, 03:58 PM   #3
SLippe
R.I.P. Babe Thread

Well, I've heard a couple of different things...

1. Vista will wipe whatever drive you put it on, so while it may be possible to put it on a second striped drive, make sure you don't have anything on it you want to keep first.

2. I've heard to put the motherboard drivers (raid drivers) on a seperate CD during install of Vista, but haven't tried it. I'm not really in a hurry either, but I would like to play around with it. As far as I know though, Vista doesn't give you the option of what drive to install it on, therefore, not sure how you'd pick the D: drive at the beginning. Or can you?
Old 02-19-07, 06:01 PM   #4
Ancient
Occasional User

Yes, you can choose the partition/drive (either, or) that Windows installs from and you can tell Vista not to wipe the drive. It doe not format a drive automatically. Keep the RAID drivers handy either on a CD, DVD, or USB drive and Vista will prompt you when those drivers are required for your install.

Do not try to use XP RAID drivers. Vista won't install. You'll need Vista specific pre-install RAID drivers.
Old 02-19-07, 06:44 PM   #5
Rytr
SuperMod

Vista pre-install Raid drivers? I suppose from the mfg's site. I have not looked yet but thanks for the info as I would be attempting something that was not going to work. I have XP on one Raid array and I have another set up for ready for Vista...that is if and when I decide to give it a go.
Rytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-07, 10:17 PM   #6
Ancient
Occasional User

The Vista pre-install drivers are basically the same thing as the drivers required under XP. With Vista you don't have to press F6 though. A window comes up during the install process and allows you to install the drivers from a number of sources instead of only a floppy disk.

I haven't used the i6x0 chipset yet though so I can't speak from experience. Maybe Vista already has an integrated RAID driver for it? I have used the GigaByte RAID and a pre-install driver was required. It's not a painful process at all, ime. Though, as always with Windows...ymmv.
Old 02-19-07, 10:21 PM   #7
Rytr
SuperMod

Sounds easy!....

Thanks!
Rytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-07, 01:41 AM   #8
SLippe
R.I.P. Babe Thread

I burned the motherboard drivers and the graphics card drivers to the same cd, both in their respective folders. So, I just move the stuff I have on the D: drive over to the C: drive and install Vista on D:? I keep the cd I made in my second drive during installation so when it asks for Raid drivers, I can point it to the folder on the cd? I really want Vista installed, just not sure I wanna make it my only OS right now. Which brings up a second question...

What if I wanted to start fresh? What would I need to do about the Raid 0 config I have now before installing Vista, anything? Or it's going to be pretty much the same thing as above? Guess it would be easier to not have Raid and just have XP on C: and Vista on D: without the Raid config, huh? Hmmmm...

Old 02-20-07, 04:59 AM   #9
pingu2

vista installed on my nvstripe without any additional drivers and without additional prompts.. it didnt wipe any data..
pingu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-07, 06:14 PM   #10
john19055

You need to install Windows XP first and then Vista on a sepreate partion and it should work fine.
Intel i7-3820+Corsair H-100+Gigabyte X79-UD5+16gigs G.Skill PC1600DDR3+2-ASUS DirectCU II GTX-670 in SLI+Crucial 256g-SSD+1-3Gig Seagate+2- Samsung 1-TB+3-WesternDigtial 640g+LG-12x Blu-Ray Burner+850watt XFX+Antec-P280 case+50" Plasma PM6700+Logitech Mouse+Keyboard+Pioneer VSX-1020+Polk Audio Speakers
john19055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-07, 06:45 PM   #11
Bman212121

Let me find OWA's post, and I'll get you the link. You need to extract the sata ide drivers from the Nforce 15.00 vista drivers and put them on a floppy, and only a floppy.

I have a working quad boot on my nforce array.

EDIT: Here is the link to the instructions on how to get vista installed onto an array. All you need to do for dual boot is just create another partition, and install vista on that. (You do a custom install to do that and load the drivers from the disk)

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/vist...e-vt66299.html

I didn't need to do anything special other than that, and I was able to install vista 32 and 64 by using their respective drivers. Also, FYI, when vista boots up, it will make it's partiton drive C, and your windows xp D. XP should show it's parition as C, and the new partition will go to the first unused drive letter. (Prolly E because of a dvd drive.)

One more thing also, if you read the link vista does have raid drivers for the nv array if you have a newer board that doesn't allow a sata + pata array. That will work out of the box, it is the ones that have the ability to create an array with sata and pata that have problems.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-07, 03:55 PM   #12
XDanger
Whaaat?

Mine installed very easilly after I posted a reply, Just created a partition in xp then rebooted and installed vista onto my raid0 drive.