Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-25-07, 11:32 AM   #61
OWA

Default Re: Post Your Audio Setups HERE!

Nice new setup betterdan.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-07, 05:11 PM   #62
betterdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWA
Nice new setup betterdan.
Thanks OWA. I've been playing with it all day and I think I may be going deaf. I already knocked some porcelain figures down on the shelf across the room thanks to the subwoofer. Luckily my wife was at work when it happened.
Old 02-25-07, 07:15 PM   #63
evilchris

My sub actually causes the $10 apiece halogen PAR30's in my kitchen to fail
Old 02-25-07, 09:44 PM   #64
Ancient
Occasional User

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchris
The sub probably doesn't help, but halogens suck because they naturally burn out too fast. I have 8 of them in my kitchen and have to replace them all about every 6 months.
Old 02-25-07, 09:48 PM   #65
betterdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchris
Hehe now I don't need anything that powerful.
I had a cheap 70watt 6.5 inch (I thought it was an 8 inch) KLH sub before and that actually sounded decent. We have wood floors and the sub is located in a corner so a small sub did ok.
Now this 10 inch 230watt sub is actually too much for the room and I've only got it turned up about halfway. I love it's nice tight sound.
Old 02-25-07, 11:06 PM   #66
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient
The sub probably doesn't help, but halogens suck because they naturally burn out too fast. I have 8 of them in my kitchen and have to replace them all about every 6 months.
Haha same here, 8. We just love the light level.
Old 02-26-07, 11:12 AM   #67
ynnek

When it comes to HTIB's, I'm also a fan of Onkyo.

IMO, their "mid level" setups.. The ones that come with the 3 front speakers that are a step up from their low end stuff, and a better powered sub, is great in price/performance.
ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-07, 01:56 PM   #68
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan
Hehe now I don't need anything that powerful.
I had a cheap 70watt 6.5 inch (I thought it was an 8 inch) KLH sub before and that actually sounded decent. We have wood floors and the sub is located in a corner so a small sub did ok.
Now this 10 inch 230watt sub is actually too much for the room and I've only got it turned up about halfway. I love it's nice tight sound.
how would you rate that Onkyo HTIB? It looks delicious and I've heard nothing but amazing things about Onkyo.

I'm going to be looking to upgrade from my current cheapo Sony HT and this Onkyo looks like it would be perfect until I can afford to get a really good setup for around $4-6k
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-07, 05:06 PM   #69
betterdan

I'm serious Superklye this thing sounds great. A bonus I didn't even realize it has was multichannel hookups on the back so if I get an HD DVD player this would be useful. It also has onscreen displays from the receiver onto your tv for things like volume, audio settings etc. The only downside I see (but doesn't bother me as I don't currently use the video in and outs on it) is that some people said that the onscreen displays don't work with HDMI. I hooked the video composite out to my tv just to set the receiver up and it worked fine and I thought that was really cool.
I was not a fan of HTIB stuff before but I decided to give this Onkyo system a try and I'm glad I did. I'd rate it probably an 8 or so out of 10. Very nice sound and features.
Old 02-26-07, 05:24 PM   #70
superklye

You know...now that you mention that, I remember reading that on Amazon or maybe it was AVS...that sucks big time if it wouldn't pass picture to my TV.
Old 02-26-07, 05:31 PM   #71
betterdan

No I don't think it would have a problem passing the picture, just the on screen stuff from the receiver.
The thing to remeber is this doesn't convert other signals to HDMI or downconvert other signals to HDMI. If you plug in something with HDMI to the receiver you need to use HDMI out of the receiver to get video. If you hook something up with composite, svhs or component you can use any of those or just use component out to get video as it will convert the lower signals to component video.

As for the receiver onscreen menus and such I heard if you bought the next system above this one then the onscreen menus would work though HDMI. It's not that big a deal actually as after you set everything up in the menus you don't ever need it again. It just would be another cool thing to have the audio settings pop up on your tv so you wouldnt have to look at the receivers smaller display when you use an HDMI connection.
Old 02-26-07, 05:53 PM   #72
superklye

Ohhhh okay, I gotcha.

I still seem to remember reading something about an HTIB (and I could've sworn it was an Onkyo, but maybe it was a Sony) that had HDMI in and out but video out didn't work on some TVs.

I'll see if I can find it. Maybe I'm just making it up...I don't knnow.