Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-01-07, 07:24 AM   #37
carlos
In the fetal position

Default Re: Which Distro Are You?

It's very simple for me...you don't support my OS, I don't support your network or problem.

I had Time Warner / Brighthouse Networks come to my home for cable internet installation and the guy asked where my PC was so I showed him and then he said he had to run a set up CD. I looked at the guy like he was crazy .

I thought to myself this would be funny so I showed him to my PC loaded with Debian Etch AMD64 and logged in for him. He sat down and grabbed the mouse and attempted to look for the "Start" button.

Aw man - it was classic. His response was "Oh, is this a MAC"...

I laughed and told him he could leave the CD with me however I was able to sit down and ifdown eth0 and ifup eth0 with no problems.
Old 03-01-07, 07:25 AM   #38
AndyS

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1
Ahaha..been there too!
, personally, I'm running Gentoo (with XFce4 + Beryl..sometimes) and I kinda like it. And I'm definitely no linux guru.

It is my first distro I've ever installed ...one friend recommended it to me ( he probably wanted to make fun of me ). However, the installation was really easy when using the guide on gentoo.org (its from stage 3) and I think, I've finally learned how to administrate my linux system.

So far it works great and I really use it on daily basis..but I really can't compare it to other distros
AndyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-07, 08:16 AM   #39
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilghost
I've installed IE6 using IEs4Linux, very easy.
The bad thing about installing that (and IE6 actually have SOME use on a Linux box) is that no plugins work! I have to take test on CourseCompass.com and you have to have Java, Flash and their homegrown "TestGen" ActiveX control. Does anyone know a way to clear this up? I know that IE4Linux is just really supposed to be for viewing and testing websites, but if I could get those plugins to work, then hallelujah, that's just one step closer to getting my girly over to Linux!
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-07, 08:19 AM   #40
evilghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm
The bad thing about installing that (and IE6 actually have SOME use on a Linux box) is that no plugins work! I have to take test on CourseCompass.com and you have to have Java, Flash and their homegrown "TestGen" ActiveX control. Does anyone know a way to clear this up? I know that IE4Linux is just really supposed to be for viewing and testing websites, but if I could get those plugins to work, then hallelujah, that's just one step closer to getting my girly over to Linux!
I got craptiveX to work just fine, inclusive of Flash, which IEs4Linux installs AFAIK.
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-07, 07:10 PM   #41
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilghost
I got craptiveX to work just fine, inclusive of Flash, which IEs4Linux installs AFAIK.
Yeah, nothing is working for me. No java, no flash, no nothing.

Also, I've been trying for hours getting a FTP server going but no luck. I've tried both vsftpd and proftpd, played around with known working config files but I get timed out, even on a LAN. Also, there is no n00b easy GUI like FTP server available . . . . lol.
Old 03-01-07, 08:19 PM   #42
carlos
In the fetal position

vsFTPd is virtually as easy as installing it. I use it at home and work and it's great. Just disable anonymous.
Old 03-01-07, 09:27 PM   #43
evilghost

I use SSH only; sftp or scp. I've been able to completely eliminate Samba here at the house via the use of sshfs.

sshfs is absolutely awesome and very fast even over WAN links.
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-07, 11:23 PM   #44
six_storm

Well, after a few more tries, FTP doesn't even wanna work. Also, SSH doesn't wanna work for me due to crappy RSA keys not being right on my Mac. Arghhh. I'm sure there's one little bitty thing undone in my config file and I just don't know it. Oh well.

Old 03-02-07, 07:11 PM   #45
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm
I'm still testing the limits of Ubuntu with add-on software such as other desktop environments, beta programs like Beryl and XGL, system optimization, and just basic everyday things such as web surfing, email, office apps and so forth.

I'm also hoping to install Ubuntu on my girlfriend's PC (along with XP in VMWare Server for college stuff) at some point this year. Still learning teh L1nuX!!!111
Finally got mine back up and running. I'm going with edgy this time, seems SLI was causing my earlier problems.

Side note - I've barely begun to explore it, but beryl is definetly sweet.

Edit: Change that remark on Beryl to "Veeery Sweet!"