Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-06-07, 11:54 AM   #1
Abraxus#

Default When setting up your system...

...do you put everything together outside the case first (on a non conducting surface obviously)? A lot of the walkthroughts I have read say to do this but it seems really dodgy to me. Surely you are doubling the chances of damaging something, and how likely is it that the motherboard wont work and you'll have to send it back?

Also, if anyone has an Arctic Cooling freezer 7 pro, does it come with thermal compound on the contact surface? If so, is it good quality and does it mean I can just clip the HSF straight on without applying any extra compound to the cpu core?

Finally, does anybody with an Asus Commando know if you have to use a floppy disc to install sata drivers? (This is probably the same as for any P965). There are RAID drivers available on the website but no drivers that specifically say S-ATA.

Heh, i'm really nervous, as this will be my first major build and i dont want to destroy hundreds of pounds worth of parts....fingers crossed.
EVGA GTX 260 216
Intel X25M G2 160GB SSD
X-Fi Xtreme Music
Corsair TX 650
Samsung SM226BW
Abraxus# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-07, 12:23 PM   #2
mullet

Default Re: When setting up your system...

I have a removable MB tray but if you don't ( what I did in the past ) is put the anti static bag that the MB comes in on a flat surface and mount the CPU HS and ram, while there is plenty of room to spin the MB in the positions needed to make it easier. I would use arctic silver 5 for thermal compound. I have the P5B deluxe MB (965 chipset), Yes you will need the chipset RAID drivers on a floppy. I like how ASUS did this you don't have to be in windows to do the Make Disk simply put the cd in and when you boot to the CD/DVD it has a menu to load the SATA RAID driver to a floppy without having to boot into windows to make it.
Old 03-06-07, 12:50 PM   #3
Bman212121

I always put the cpu and HSF onto the mobo before I drop it into the pc because of space reasons. Thankfully now some of the retension clips are much better, and can be installed which the board already in the case, but it can be a pain in the a sometimes.

Just do what mullet suggested, put the mobo onto the antistatic bag, and make sure your properly grounded before you start working on stuff. You can go to your local radioshack and pick up an antistatic mat with a grounding strap for like $25 - $30. It is a lot cheaper than if you manage to kill a component.

I will say though even if you don't have a mat, as long as you just touch something metal, like the case or a filing cabinet, copper pipes, etc, you shouldn't have to worry about it. I don't think I've ever killed a part from static electricity, but it is always good to be careful though when your dealing with parts that cost a few hundred a piece.

As for the compound, it will work, but most of the people here usually pick up Artic Silver 5 or ceramique because it helps transfer heat better by a couple of degrees.

If your not using RAID, you shouldn't need to load any S-ata drivers to install Windows XP. I don't think I've come across a pc where it wouldn't work out of the box when not using RAID.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-07, 01:17 PM   #4
einstein_314
w00t!!

Ok well contrary to what the above 2 have said....I put the mobo in my case first and then add the CPU/heatsink, RAM, etc. I find that if I put in the CPU/heatsink before putting the mobo in the case, I end up not being able to put all the screws in the mobo to hold it down...I guess it depends on the mobo layout too though....

That being said, my current desktop has a removable mobo tray so I just slide it out to work on it.

As far as thermal compound. I'd use Arctic Silver 5. That heatsink probably doesn't come with the thermal compound ON the heatsink already...it probably just has a tube of it included in the box. You can use that, it will work fine, but I'd use AS5. Personal preference that's all.

For RAID drivers, you will probably have to have them on a floppy. Well, are you installing Vista or XP? Because Vista may have them in it. I know XP won't...it only works if you're using the nForce RAID controller...otherwise you need to use a floppy. Oh and if you're using Vista, then I believe you can put the drivers on a USB memory stick too. Which is a lot handier than a floppy...I don't even have a floppy drive anymore.

Oh and regarding static. I have never fried a component due to static electricity. But I am EXTREMELY careful because I know what it can do. It CAN and WILL destroy valuable components. So either a) get an antistatic wrist strap or b) know how to prevent static build up and be careful. Make sure you regularely touch something that is grounded. I usually touch the case of my powersupply (it has to be plugged in to the wall of couse). Do this every few minutes and you should be good. If you get up and walk around, ground yourself before touching anything again (static will build up when walking around on carpet - think wool socks ) And make sure you keep things in antistatic bags, or put them on them. If it's not being used right now, don't leave it sitting around. That's asking for trouble.

Good luck! I remember my first computer I built, I was terrified of frying something
Logitech Z-5300 Speakers || Sennheiser HD555's || Logitech G7 || Logitech G15 || Windows Vista Ultimate x64
einstein_314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-07, 02:13 PM   #5
Abraxus#

I'm not actually using raid, I have a single s-ata drive so installing raid drivers doesn't seem to make sense. Also, the last time I formatted and reinstalled windows I didn't have to install anything from a floppy (with my current P4P800E-Deluxe mobo). I will be installing XP on my new computer.

I just checked the Arctic cooling website and it says in the faq section for the Freezer 7 pro that the thermal compound is pre applied, can anybody who has one confirm this?

As for the raid drivers, on the asus website: http://support.asus.com/download/dow...model=Commando there are 2 to choose from, one is 1.1MB and the other is 16MB, I downloaded the smaller one and ran the program to make a 32 bit floppy but I'm not sure if this is correct. I have attached a screen shot of the contents of the floppy and the folder with the files it was created from. Have I got it right?

Thanks for the replies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drivers.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	24421  
EVGA GTX 260 216
Intel X25M G2 160GB SSD
X-Fi Xtreme Music
Corsair TX 650
Samsung SM226BW
Old 03-06-07, 02:25 PM   #6
tacos4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxus#
I just checked the Arctic cooling website and it says in the faq section for the Freezer 7 pro that the thermal compound is pre applied, can anybody who has one confirm this?
Yes, my Freezer 7 Pro came with some decent thermal compound. I noticed no difference going from the stuff it shipped with to AS5.
Old 03-06-07, 02:55 PM   #7
Abraxus#

Was it already applied to the HSF though? I guess it doesn't matter too much if it is as good as A.S. - it shouldn't need changing.
EVGA GTX 260 216
Intel X25M G2 160GB SSD
X-Fi Xtreme Music
Corsair TX 650
Samsung SM226BW
Old 03-06-07, 02:58 PM   #8
tacos4me

Yep, it came applied.

Old 03-06-07, 02:59 PM   #9
Abraxus#

Awesome, i'm glad I dont have to mess about with that stuff.
EVGA GTX 260 216
Intel X25M G2 160GB SSD
X-Fi Xtreme Music
Corsair TX 650
Samsung SM226BW
Old 03-06-07, 03:44 PM   #10
einstein_314
w00t!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxus#
I'm not actually using raid, I have a single s-ata drive so installing raid drivers doesn't seem to make sense. Also, the last time I formatted and reinstalled windows I didn't have to install anything from a floppy (with my current P4P800E-Deluxe mobo). I will be installing XP on my new computer.

As for the raid drivers, on the asus website: http://support.asus.com/download/dow...model=Commando there are 2 to choose from, one is 1.1MB and the other is 16MB, I downloaded the smaller one and ran the program to make a 32 bit floppy but I'm not sure if this is correct. I have attached a screen shot of the contents of the floppy and the folder with the files it was created from. Have I got it right?

Thanks for the replies.
You downloaded the right one. That disk looks good.

And it's not hard to apply AS5...you just put a blob in the middle of the CPU and put on the heatsink...not exactly rocket science. You don't need to spread it or anything...but I'm sure the stuff that comes with it will be fine.
Logitech Z-5300 Speakers || Sennheiser HD555's || Logitech G7 || Logitech G15 || Windows Vista Ultimate x64
einstein_314 is offline   Reply With Quote