Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-31-07, 03:38 AM   #1
shiva

Default Solaris 10

Hello

I am trying to build a x 86 workstation for solaris 10 and have difficulty choosing motherboard, processor, hdd, optical drive and ram.

The task is appears a bit complicated because solaris 10 is known to have some compatibity issues with x 86 hardware.

Can the forum advise me on this?

I am in India, i can get ASUS and Gigabyte motherboards and I want to build my desktop around an amd athelon 64 or opetron 10 processor.

The motherboard so far narrowed down is ASUS M2 NPV-VM. Can you tell me if this is oK ?

Shiva dot madras at gmail dot com
shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-07, 08:04 PM   #2
Mr Bigman
Strongest Man On Earth

Send a message via AIM to Mr Bigman Send a message via MSN to Mr Bigman Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Bigman
Default Re: Solaris 10

Use a Tyan Based board, they do fair for Solaris x86.
Three EVGA 285 SLI
Antec 1200
Corsiar 1000 HX Power Supply
2 OCZ SSD Hard Drives
4 wd black edition raid 2 setups for 4TB

Old 02-01-07, 08:43 PM   #3
retsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiva
Hello

I am trying to build a x 86 workstation for solaris 10 and have difficulty choosing motherboard, processor, hdd, optical drive and ram.

The task is appears a bit complicated because solaris 10 is known to have some compatibity issues with x 86 hardware.

Can the forum advise me on this?

I am in India, i can get ASUS and Gigabyte motherboards and I want to build my desktop around an amd athelon 64 or opetron 10 processor.

The motherboard so far narrowed down is ASUS M2 NPV-VM. Can you tell me if this is oK ?

Shiva dot madras at gmail dot com
thats the first time ive heard of compalibility with x86?...is this for work or for yourself?...if its for work and your ass is on the line then i would go with a tyan board. can you give us details what this server is going to be used for,so that we can give you some ideas on how to proceed.
retsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-07, 09:13 PM   #4
evilghost

I've got a UNIX/Solaris guy at work I'll bounce this off. He's big into Solaris and just brought up Solaris 10 in a VMWare session.
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-07, 06:08 AM   #5
shiva

Hello Mr Bigman,

Thank you for your suggestion on the Tyan board. I will try that.

Thank you.
Muthusamy Sivasubramanian.
Old 03-08-07, 06:11 AM   #6
shiva

Hello retsam,

Sorry for the dealy in replying ... I was under the impression that I will get an email when the post received a reply and there was no email...

I am hearing about the Tyan board again. There are definitely some comptaibility issues on X86 systems, in my case the display resolution is a problem with some monitors, the network card is not detected, the cursor of the mouse becomes invisible when I re-login, the audio is not heard.....