Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-11-07, 12:30 PM   #25
rbil

Default Re: nVidia driver 1.0-96xx causes glitches, artifacts and crashes on Ubuntu Edgy/Feis

I haven't figured out which is the bigger p.o.s., the card or the driver? In either case, it doesn't work worth a damn. I'm truly sorry I wasted my money on this graphics card. Won't ever happen again.

Cheers.
rbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-07, 06:58 PM   #26
MartinE

Default Re: nVidia driver 1.0-96xx causes glitches, artifacts and crashes on Ubuntu Edgy/Feis

@compotatoj: I disagree, when using 'Option "RenderAccel" "False"' I get much less artifacts, but still a lot of them. Also, the scrolling issues are unchanged. It's far from a solution, even a temporary one, as the attached screenshot shows. However, no more cached pixmaps are shown, you could call that progress.

@rbil: I understand and share your frustration, but I'd like to get a constructive solution from the nVidia devs, and insults won't lead us anywhere. Let's try to be professional, right? Besides, Edgy Eft comes with the 1.0-8776 driver, which works fine (at least on my machine). It doesn't support GL_EXT_TEXTURE_FROM_PIXMAP, so it doesn't natively support Beryl, but you could use Beryl with 1.0-8776 and XGL. I tried that with Compiz, and it worked perfectly for me. And if you really buy another (non-nVidia) graphics card, try an Intel card with a free/open-source driver.

Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot-4.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	24501  
MartinE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-07, 11:58 PM   #27
compotatoj

@MartinE: Wow, your screenshots look a lot worse than mine. Is it like that all the time or is it completely unusable? I suspect this could be the same problem, but it is just worse on yours because you have a different video card.
compotatoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-07, 12:00 AM   #28
compotatoj

I am going to try installing the 9631 drivers with Feisty Herd 1 and see if the problems still occur. If they go away, this might not only be a nvidia driver problem. It could be an xorg one also.
Old 03-12-07, 06:51 AM   #29
MartinE

Lightbulb Re: nVidia driver 1.0-96xx causes glitches, artifacts and crashes on Ubuntu Edgy/Feis

Is anyone from nVidia still reading this thread, or am I wasting my time here?

@netllama, you didn't reply for a week now, and everything you ever said regarding my problems was "does it persist when disabling composite" and "are there any updates to your bios", which I answered with yes and no, respectively. I'd like to at least hear something like "We acknowledge that there is a bug and we are trying to fix it". I need a workable driver, man! I'm a frustrated customer with an unusable graphics card!
Old 03-12-07, 10:18 AM   #30
MartinE

@compotatoj: All my screenshots are from Feisty Herd 5, so my problem definitely exists there. I don't use 1.0-9631 on Edgy, since my edgy machine is my production machine, and I am unwilling to install nonfunctional drivers there, even temporarily. However, last time I tried, it looked just the same as my Feisty screenshots.

And yes, it is like that all the time. Before taking the last screenshot, i opened the window and moved it around fast for some time. The result is what you see. The screen is not updated properly, parts of the window are still visible where they shouldn't be, and parts of the window are not drawn at all where they should be. I think the same is the cause for the scrolling issues. Both problems can be circumvented by moving/scrolling very slowly.

Not using 'Option "RenderAccel" "False"' makes it worse, since obscured areas are *never* properly redrawn, and instead filled with that noise you see on my first screenshots, and parts of cached pixmaps are mixed in as I described.

If it were not for the free/open-source "nv"-driver, a non-nVidia piece of software, I would be completely unable to use my machine with Ubuntu Feisty, and I find this unacceptable, since Ubuntu Edgy (and in a month, Ubuntu Feisty) with a GeForce2 card is supposedly a supported combination. If it is not, nVidia should clearly and unmistakably tell its customers.

I repeat: I would be happy if I could at least fall back to 1.0-8776. Regressions happen, there is no way around them, and it might take some time to fix this bug. However, if a particular operating system is supposed to be supported by nVidia, and if nVidia releases a new driver that does *not work at all* on this operating system, at least with some cards, and if at the same time the old, stable, working driver does *no longer compile on said operating system*, than nVidia has made a serious mistake. A mistake that I, as a customer, expect them to fix, and to fix fast.

Martin
Old 03-12-07, 10:40 AM   #31
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: nVidia driver 1.0-96xx causes glitches, artifacts and crashes on Ubuntu Edgy/Feisty

I'm not able to reproduce this problem. Without a means of reproducing it, there no way to investigate it further. Is this problem specific to only Ubuntu?
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-07, 01:17 PM   #32
MartinE

I don't know. I'm using Ubuntu only, and I don't really have the time to install a dozen distributions and keep book on which ones the driver works or doesn't work. Any specific distro you would like me to test?

Did you look at my installer log? Do you have any ideas why 1.0-8776 doesn't compile on Ubuntu Feisty? I want this bug to be fixed, but a usable system is what I want even more.

Thanks.

Old 03-12-07, 01:40 PM   #33
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: nVidia driver 1.0-96xx causes glitches, artifacts and crashes on Ubuntu Edgy/Feisty

Yes, 1.0-8776 doesn't build with newer kernels due to changes in the kernels. This is expected, and has been corrected in newer drivers.

I wasn't asking anyone to specifically use a different distribution, however it seems suspicious that everyone reporting this problem is running Ubuntu. This suggests that the problem isn't the nvidia driver, but something else in Ubuntu.
Old 03-12-07, 05:40 PM   #34
compotatoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
I'm not able to reproduce this problem. Without a means of reproducing it, there no way to investigate it further. Is this problem specific to only Ubuntu?
@netllama: What is your computer configuration that you are using to test the problem?

If you could try something similar to:
- AMD64 3500+ (probably any AMD64)
- GeForce 6600GT
- Ubuntu Feisty Fawn Herd 5 (or just kernel 2.6.20)

I would be more than welcome to help run some tests and send you the feedback. Is there anything I can do to help narrow the problem down or send you debugging information?
Old 03-12-07, 05:44 PM   #35
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

My setup was x86_64 Edgy Eft with a GeForce 6600. Does this only reproduce with the 2.6.20-9 kernel?
Old 03-12-07, 05:50 PM   #36
compotatoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
I wasn't asking anyone to specifically use a different distribution, however it seems suspicious that everyone reporting this problem is running Ubuntu. This suggests that the problem isn't the nvidia driver, but something else in Ubuntu.
The reason why we are all using Ubuntu is probably because we are testing the bleeding edge kernel on the in-development version of Ubuntu. We are trying to get these problems resolved before its release so the end-users will not have the same problem when it is released. That would probably magnify the problem about 100 times.

If you would like, I could try booting up another cutting-edge distribution that is using the 2.6.20 kernel.