Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-14-07, 08:41 PM   #1
XDanger
Whaaat?

Default Can I transfer vista and evrythin to a new raid array without re-instal/activation

The 2x36gb part of my sig is a bit previous as they are still sitting in front of me....
I recall using some maxtor app to change a drive on an old pc ,os and all .Can this be done with striped arrays on a p5b, Will Vista even let me do it? I know just changing hdd's wont count as a new pc but 2 copies would have to exist for a brief time for me to transfer.
Im assuming I can have 2 arrays on the intel controller.
Old 03-14-07, 08:55 PM   #2
Bman212121

Default Re: Can I transfer vista and evrythin to a new raid array without re-instal/activation

Well, in Xp I could use symantec ghost to copy an install of Windows from a single drive to an array. The biggest thing to remember is you need to load the array drivers BEFORE you try to copy it. Otherwise Windows won't be able to access itself, since it doesn't know how to interpret the array. I think you can do it without needing to reactivate, but I'm not 100%.

Vista might be a little tricker to do, and you'll definitely want to look around before you try it. I know that older verisons of Symantec can't even clone Vista sucessfully because of some of the changes with it. You may be able to find a drive copy program that works with xp, but it might not work with Vista. Another app that would be a good idea to check out is Partition manager, it says it is Vista compatible. http://www.partition-manager.com/

What I would suggest is that you try an install of Vista onto the raptors using the drivers you need to install with first, just to make sure that those drivers are going to work. You won't need to activate the install, so it won't cost you an activation, but it will let you know if it is going to crash and burn before you try to copy it.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-07, 09:19 PM   #3
XDanger
Whaaat?

Default Re: Can I transfer vista and evrythin to a new raid array without re-instal/activatio

I have PartitionMagic 8 ,will that work if I set up the array first.
Times like these an external drive would be useful, I know im going to mess it up and have to reinstall from scratch, its nice to have a cleanout now and again though.

vista uses a different ntfs revision though doesnt it, so I dont like my chances with pm8
Old 03-14-07, 09:41 PM   #4
hokeyplyr48
hooah

Send a message via AIM to hokeyplyr48
Default Re: Can I transfer vista and evrythin to a new raid array without re-instal/activation

try acronis true image
it's vista compatible, i used it to transfer my vista OS over.
i still had to activate since i had change a "critical piece of hardware"

EDIT: i think only v10 will work in vista just FYI
CPU:Q6600 @ 3.5 w/ Ultra 120 extreme|| RAM: 4x2GB G. Skill || Motherboard: ABIT IP35 Pro || VideoCard: eVGA 260GTX & 7200GS for triple monitoring || Sound Card: Creative X-FI xtremegamer || Hard Drive: 2 x 150GB Raptor in RAID 0 (OS and Program Files) | 1 x 150GB Raptor (User Drive) | 1 x WD 2TB HD SATA II | 1 x 1TB Seagate | 1 x WD 500 GB HD SATA II | 1 x Seagate 400 GB HD SATA II | 1 x WD 160 GB HD IDE (slow, only for storage) || Monitor: Dell 30" 3007WFP LCD, Acer 22" widescreen, & Gateway 17" || Case: Antec 900 || PSU: 1 KW athenatech or force or something PSU || Keyboard: Logitech G15 || Mouse: Logitech MX 518 || OS: Windows 7 Build 7201 x64

Secondary Rig: FX-60, 7900GTX, 2 x 1BG OCZ Platinum, A8N32-SLI Deluxe, Antec 180, XP x32
hokeyplyr48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-07, 02:27 AM   #5
Bman212121

Default Re: Can I transfer vista and evrythin to a new raid array without re-instal/activatio

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDanger
I have PartitionMagic 8 ,will that work if I set up the array first.
Times like these an external drive would be useful, I know im going to mess it up and have to reinstall from scratch, its nice to have a cleanout now and again though.

vista uses a different ntfs revision though doesnt it, so I dont like my chances with pm8
I'm not sure if partition magic will do the trick. The only way you'd have a chance is if you had another drive with xp on it. The problem with PM is that when you want to copy your HD that your booting from, it wants to reboot the pc into it's own OS and copy the data. The problem is that once you do that, PM can't see the raid anymore, so it can't transfer the files. If you had another drive to boot off of, then you can copy your OS onto the RAID without having to reboot the pc. I haven't heard a whole lot about trying to copy Vista yet, so your milage can easily vary. I haven't even tried to copy it with ghost, but I've already heard we need a newer version for that to work.

If you don't have much installed, it would probably be quicker just to load from scratch, as you could be days trying to figure out how to copy it.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-07, 07:50 PM   #6
XDanger
Whaaat?

Back to the start of riddick for me again I guess, Oh well. Unless I leave xp on the slower drives, thats if I can have 2 arrays...
Im such a pussy whenever I need to do stuff like this and keep putting it off.

Bite the bullet biatch, I say to myself, Then I smack myself upside the head for calling me a "Biatch" because its so outdated.

I have lack of sleep issues at the moment.