Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-23-07, 12:01 PM   #25
Rakeesh

Default Re: Antec Tricool 120MM fans - noisy at times.

I received my Scyth fans yesterday and installed them earlier. They are pretty nice, they have much better airflow than the tri-cool fans on their lowest setting and make about the same amount of noise (that is, with the fans being plugged straight into the 12v cable instead of the motherboard, thus no clicking.) But its a different kind of noise though, doesn't really stick out unless you know what you are listening for.

In retrospect I probably should have gone with the F model since its lower RPM and I don't need as much air flow as these provide, but I am satisfied with them as my computer is still very quiet. My WD Raptor makes more noise than these do so its not bad at all. These fans no doubt have the highest airflow vs noise of any fan I have ever had.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-07, 04:01 PM   #26
Rytr
SuperMod

There are basically two kinds of noise coming from a fan. Air moving thru the blades will always be present to some extent, depending on RPMs. The other, and most annoying to me, is the pitch or whine of the motor. Fluid bearing-type fans tend to have less motor noise. At least of the ones I have used. That is why Panaflo fans have been a favorite of mine over the years both in the design of the blades and the fluid bearing concept creating less noise at higher RPM (performance). I am sure there are now fans being produced that are equally as good.
Rytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-07, 12:38 AM   #27
Rakeesh

I think I am going to dremel off the fan grill that is cut into the back of the case and replace it with a wire grill. I think it would probably increase airflow and possibly reduce the turbulence a bit.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote