Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-28-07, 04:24 PM   #1
firehawk

Default can i get some help or advice plaese?

when i play a game i get split second pauses during gameplay. it seems to be happening when stuff is loading from the hdd into memory.

an example would be half life 2. when the game loads a new set of enemies or sounds i get a tiny microsecond pause.

quake 4 is unplayable. my fps are all over the place and forward movement is hitchy.

i have rma'd my card gotten a new psu,hdd and mobo. and still i have problems

the only thing i can think of what might be the cause is my cases motherboard tray. my pci card do not fit into the pci slots all the way at the back because of the cards mounting bracket hitting the back of the case. they are in the slot just at the back they dont push all the way down into it.

my specs are:
asus a8n32 sli
athlon 4800 x2
8800 gtx
1k pc power and cool psu
2 gigs of ram

any advice would be welcome. i cant afford a new set up till the end of the year.
firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 04:44 PM   #2
Xion X2

Default Re: can i get some help or advice plaese?

Sounds more like a memory issue. Have you checked your memory to make sure it's installed properly according to your motherboard manual?

Make sure that it's running in dual-channel, and make sure that both sticks are working. The only reason I can think of that your system would be accessing the hard-drive so often is if your memory was insufficient.

Also run some anti-spyware programs like Spybot and AdAware. You can get them both free from www.download.com

I would also install an antivirus program, if you already haven't. You can get a great one free from that same link. It's called Avast Home Edition.

So.. memory-related, possibly. I don't think it has anything to do with your PCI slots; the card would either work/not work. It wouldn't do this.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 04:48 PM   #3
DiscipleDOC

You could also have a bad hard drive. You may want to do a defrag on that drive and reboot and try again.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 05:45 PM   #4
kevJ420
*BANNED*

drivers (video)
audio processor, may be an issue.
kevJ420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 07:45 PM   #5
firehawk

the drive is new. but i have also stuck my old ones back in to see if it solved it. it still does it.

the memory is install properly and memory test all come up clean.

i have uninstall reinstalled cleaned regisrty and freshly formated numerouse times. the problem is still here.

one thing i did notice is that i have two service pack 2 .cab files. is that normal?

could it have something to do with my memory settings in my bios?
Old 03-29-07, 10:42 AM   #6
Xion X2

What memory test did you run? Make sure that it's running in dual-channel. Did you check your manual to make sure that it's in the correct slots?

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 11:29 AM   #7
DRen72
Eastern Pipistrelle

What drivers are you using? I noticed the slight hitching in XP using certain drivers, but the 97.92 drivers solved the issue. Also, sometimes overclocking can cause it. I had that happen once also. We have similar rigs and I do not see the hitching playing HL2 anymore, but I still get it in Oblivion and Stalker at random times. Its a normal thing with games that move a lot of data fast.
Storage: Corsair Force Series GT 265GB SSD / Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB / Two Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB drives
Optical Storage: Pioneer BDR-206DBKS
Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi / Logitech Z-5500
Other: Antec P183 Case / Corsair AX-1200 Power Supply / Logitech G5 (v2.0) / Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
Console: XBox 360 Elite
DRen72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-07, 06:52 AM   #8
firehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
What memory test did you run? Make sure that it's running in dual-channel. Did you check your manual to make sure that it's in the correct slots?

memtest and micosofts own memory testing prog.

i have solved the hdd load issue. it turned out to be the raid controller was trying to take over even though it was off in the bios.

after though i now see what i thought was on problem has turned into two.

games seem to just randomly slow down for no reason. i will be playing fine and smooth and then it will just slowly start to get slower and slower as time goess on. then smooth again, repeat, repeat, repeat.

not stuttery just slower.

it's acting like the old dual core issue before the optimizer and hotfix's came around.

when i try to play prey anytime i hit a lighting source my fps nosedive by 10fps. if i walk out of the light iam normal again.

it's getting to the point where i just want to dump this machine and get a new one