Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-22-02, 09:32 AM   #13
TheOneKEA
Fifteen-K Saiyan Bastard

Location: Somewhere in England, waiting for ROTK and drooling over the A64 3000+
Send a message via ICQ to TheOneKEA Send a message via AIM to TheOneKEA Send a message via Yahoo to TheOneKEA

Now if VIA could just get rid of the bugs in their memory bus designs, Intel would be in 2nd place again, just like when AMD hit 1GHz first. IIRC, DDR400 memory performance on the KT400 sucks due to bugs in the northbridge (read OCWorkbench's review at www.ocworkbech.com )
TheOneKEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-02, 09:31 PM   #14
StealthHawk

DDR400, and DDR300 for that matter, has "sucky" performance because the CPU makes little to no use of the extra bandwidth

edit: i was of course referring to Athlons, not P4s, sorry for any confusion
Old 08-23-02, 01:18 PM   #15
TheOneKEA
Fifteen-K Saiyan Bastard

Location: Somewhere in England, waiting for ROTK and drooling over the A64 3000+
Send a message via ICQ to TheOneKEA Send a message via AIM to TheOneKEA Send a message via Yahoo to TheOneKEA

Agreed - so far only benchmarks can saturate the memory bandwidth of either platform. I haven't heard of anything else which can do that yet.
TheOneKEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-02, 02:09 PM   #16
SnakeEyes

Send a message via ICQ to SnakeEyes
Actually, from the comparisons of P4/DDR to Athlons/DDR, it seems that the Athlon processors have a hard time taking advantage of the bandwidth the memory allows. The P4 results show that the bandwidth IS available with DDR though. (Look at Q3 results, much of which is due to P4 being able to better capitalize on the available memory bandwidth than the Athlon).

In any case, nothing I do requires such extreme performance in memory bandwidth intensive apps. (Q3, which I rarely play anyway, already gets outrageously high framerates WITHOUT the extra boost P4 adds, and I don't use most of the workstation class software that otherwise makes up the majority of that type of app). So I'll probably stick with the Athlons, primarily because of the bang-for-the-buck, since nearly everything I use it for is either competitive with the P4, or at least more than fast enough. (how much do I care about how fast word processes page formatting at this point?)

Edit: BTW, I expect that the Hammers, once fully optimized and with proper drivers, will fix the memory utilization issues, thanks to the onboard controller..
Old 08-28-02, 12:46 AM   #17
Essense

I feel the upgrade itch coming on myself. However I really have no reason to ugprade whatsoever. Im still runing on a 1.4 Ghz Thunderbird clocked at 1533 Mhz, 640 MB of ram and a TI 500. None of the games I play right now give me any issues as far as performance go's at 1280x1024. Have you guys seen the benchmarks in Tom's hardware guide with the Radeon 9700 on a Athlon XP 1800 (1.53 Ghz)? They are amazing. Yes the faster processors scale up better, but even the 1.53 Ghz system is much faster with a Radeon 9700 then with a Ti4600. In other words, 1.5 Ghz Athlons still have NO Problems driving Next gen video cards. You'd think you would only seen marginal increase in performance over a Ti4600, thinking it would be CPU bound, but the differnce is still huge. Anyways I don't see a reason to upgrade until Doom 3 and other games like it are released. By then we'll have 3.4 Ghz P4's and 3.0 Ghz Bartons, with NV30, posibly NV35, or R350.

Regards,
Mike
Old 08-28-02, 04:10 AM   #18
StealthHawk

try playing Tenebrae Quake and that situation will change. i can't even get 60fps at 640X480 with AF and FSAA off. if this is anything like the performance of Doom 3, then that will be a very good time to upgrade