Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-07-07, 05:25 AM   #1
cout

Default status of hdtv overscan via component outputs?

Seems this has been a problem since at least 2005. I've read the windows drivers have had some form of overscan compensation for qiute some time, but linux users don't get much in the way of options. I'd be perfectly content to run with custom modelines, but the drivers don't accept them when running with a TVStandard of 1080i. The next highest resolution to 1920x1080 that works is 1280x1024, but obviously this mode doesn't fill the entire screen.

A small amount of overscan is desirable, but the amount of overscan the nvidia drivers give in hd modes is too much.

Any chance we will see overscan shift or underscanning in the linux drivers in the next year?
cout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-07, 09:34 AM   #2
rerushg

Send a message via AIM to rerushg
Default Re: status of hdtv overscan via component outputs?

It's been over 24 hours since you posted so I guess nobody wants to tackle your question. I'll throw in my 2-cents to keep it going.
In my case (Gigabyte 939 MB with Nforce4 chips, AMD64, 2G ram, 7900GS card, Panasonic 47" 1080i PTV with DVI input) it seems that I could not have a more "compatible" set-up for Nvidia.
In WinXP everything works great. Nvidia Control Panel affords complete control via DVI or component output, including overscan and custom timings. Turns out overscan control is not needed. 1616x884 and 1616x908 resolutions work beautifully within the native 1080i interlaced timings. Don't even need Powerstrip.
In Linux (Fedora 6 or Ubuntu 6.06) it all goes down the tube (so to speak). I've tried everything to no avail. EDID via DVI is wrong; thinks I have a DFP so it's a non-starter and couldn't get driver to ignore it.
S-Video out/in won't allow HD. Best is VESA 1024x768 which, interestingly, allows overscan control.
So I've settled for now on an S-Video/Component splitter and driving 1080i via xorg.conf. But, as you're saying, there's no overscan control and modelines aren't accepted so nothing is possible between 1920x1080 and 1280x720. Frustrating.
Point is, I'm given to believe that the underlying issue is "commercial", not "technical". It's probably unreasonable to expect Nvidia to dedicate adequate resources to the Linux effort because of the size of the MS market, especially Vista. ATI is no better. What this market needs is a new player who might see VC hardware sales into the expanding Linux market as a "new opportunity". Until then I don't expect full video capability for all devices. Hope I'm wrong.
rerushg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 08:59 AM   #3
cout

Quote:
Originally Posted by rerushg
It's been over 24 hours since you posted so I guess nobody wants to tackle your question. I'll throw in my 2-cents to keep it going.
I didn't really expect a reply right away, since I posted on a holiday weekend.

Quote:
Point is, I'm given to believe that the underlying issue is "commercial", not "technical". It's probably unreasonable to expect Nvidia to dedicate adequate resources to the Linux effort because of the size of the MS market, especially Vista. ATI is no better. What this market needs is a new player who might see VC hardware sales into the expanding Linux market as a "new opportunity". Until then I don't expect full video capability for all devices. Hope I'm wrong.
Development is always a tradeoff. There are linux drivers for nvidia cards, so obviously nvidia does see the linux market as important. If the powers that be saw this as a bug and it were relatively easy to fix or provide a workaround, I suspect it would be done, which leads be to believe it's either not seen as a bug or it isn't easy to fix.

I am thinking of trying an ATI card to see how they do with component out, but I don't have much experience with them on linux and I don't really want to spend the money.
cout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 10:41 AM   #4
mooninite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cout
I am thinking of trying an ATI card to see how they do with component out, but I don't have much experience with them on linux and I don't really want to spend the money.
ATI doesn't handle component out in Linux. Save your money.
mooninite is offline   Reply With Quote