Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-10-03, 09:05 PM   #1
dreamerv3
Geforce 3 ti 500

Default OpenGL 2 Drivers?

Hey Andy, or anybody else from Nvidia who is reading this.

I'm part of the blender community which is currently in the middle of a re-design for blender the popular 3d app which has recently been open-sourced.

We are moving in the direction of OpenGL 2 for the realtime rendering subsystem and are sure that two rivals, both ATI and 3Dlabs will have linux drivers which support OpenGL 2 upon ratification (they're sending out beta drivers to developers who request them), however we've heard nothing of the sort from Nvidia, and we're beginning to wonder if Nvidia is going to keep going with Cg or if they're going to support OpenGL 2which includes linux drivers.

Personally I love my Geforce 3 ti500 it works like a dream and I know it has capabilities that will be central to blender's rendering in the months to come.

I'm sure the geforce FX line is even more impressive. the question is if OpenGL 2 drivers will be released just as all the 1.x drivers have been on the web site.

It seems obvious to me that they will but one has to ask...

The software may be free but the hardware isn't, so its my guess that the best hardware with the best OpenGL 2 support will be the dominant brand.

Thanks!
Joe

Dreamerv3
dreamerv3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-03, 09:58 PM   #2
MacSlow

Send a message via ICQ to MacSlow Send a message via AIM to MacSlow Send a message via MSN to MacSlow

That's what I want to know too. When will we see first XFree-driver that implements OpenGL 2.0 from nvidia.

I was so bold and asked this directly to one of the software-engineers via email. No reply yet.

I'm getting the grip on Cg atm, but finally I want to get on with GLslang and OpenGL 2.0. This way I would feel "safer" with my developments.

Best regards...

MacSlow
MacSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-03, 05:23 PM   #3
dreamerv3
Geforce 3 ti 500

Hello? anyone? if its that sensitive, at least say you've acknowledged that this message has been read.

//bump
Old 05-11-03, 06:22 PM   #4
mariuz
Albino penguin

Quote:
Originally posted by dreamerv3
Hello? anyone? if its that sensitive, at least say you've acknowledged that this message has been read.

//bump
maybe they are busy writing them
and don't have time for the forums ....
mariuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-03, 11:31 PM   #5
dreamerv3
Geforce 3 ti 500

To anyone @ Nvidia who monitors this list:

Can you tell me where I can obtain more information about Nvidia and OpenGL 2?

Is there a Dev web site for Nvidias' involvement in the OpenGL 2 standard?

You either aren't going to be complaint for opengl 2 (a virtual impossibility given Nvidia brought about the need for an update anyway.)
Or you don't want to give out anyinformation which seems odd given that 3dlabs and ATI are forthcoming about supporting the GL 2 standard.

Whats up? Siggraph is almost around the corner...