Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-12-07, 01:10 AM   #1
ngeren

Default TwinView Gamma Differences?

I currently have TwinView up and running w/ identical dual LCD monitors. Everything is peachy except for the fact that lighter gray colors seem to not display properly on one of the screens while it does on the other (in particular #EEEEEE). Running "nvidia-settings" and exiting out immediately (without changing ANY settings) seems to resolve the issue leaving only a minor difference from the other screen. Anyone know what this might be or if there is a way to control/set this in the Xorg config? I guess another option would be to install the latest stable release of X and the drivers?

Details:

Breezy - Ubuntu 64 - 2.6.12-10-amd64-generic
X Window System Version 6.8.2 (Ubuntu 6.8.2-77.2 20070109014936)
NVIDIA X Driver 1.0-7667 Fri Jun 17 07:16:27 PDT 2005

Thanks!
ngeren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 10:34 PM   #2
hvengel

Default Re: TwinView Gamma Differences?

This sounds like some kind of gamma table issue. In twinview X does not know how to set individual gamma curves for each display because the nvidia driver does not correctly (IE. to X11 specification) expose the needed information to the X11 API for setting this. When you run nvidia-setting it automatically resets the video card gamma and this is likely why your monitors look better after running it.

I actually consider it a bug that nvidia-settings resets the video gamma tables when it is opened, I run fully calibrated displays on my system and opening nvidia-setting screws up my calibration. Kind of a pain to go to the trouble and expense to get the hardware and everything to do the calibration only to have the video card vendors software mess things up.
hvengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-07, 08:08 AM   #3
Cambo

Send a message via Yahoo to Cambo
Default Re: TwinView Gamma Differences?

Might also be down to the connection to the monitors. If one is using DVI, and the other VGA, that will probably cause differences to be appear. DVI uses a direct digital data path, whereas VGA has the data transformed to an analog signal, which is turned back to digital in the monitor. This digital->analog->digital conversion will cause some distortion, which will be more obvious, as your two monitors are identical.

Cambo
Cambo is offline   Reply With Quote