Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-18-07, 06:12 PM   #1
schuey74
GTX 280 (675/1458/2500)

Default Asus P5B DX Problem

My PC is refusing to boot. There's an LED on the mobo that usually is red, but is now blue. According to the manual that means that the system is in sleep/soft-off mode. My question is....what the hell put my system into sleep/soft-off mode and how the hell do I get it back?!

Here's what I did. I came home from work and turned off the PC to dust it. A few bucks in compressed air later and I closed it up to turn it back on. After switching the power supply back on I noticed the blue instead of red light shining thru the fan holes. Pressed the power button and nothing happened - I mean absolutely nothing.....not a click, not a fan moving, nada.

Now here's what I've tried:

1. Resetting CMOS (jumper, remove battery, etc...)
2. Only connecting PS/2 Mouse and keyboard - no other peripherals
3. Different video card
4. Another power cable
5. Another Asus P5B DX Mobo

Obviously none of the above solved my problem or helped at all. I know with 100% certainty that the other mobo is fine since if both motherboards are lighting up blue then something other than the mobo is the problem. I can't imagine it being the CPU since it was watercooled and modestly overclocked (for a C2D, anyways). This leaves the power supply which is a one month old 600W Enermax which worked without a hitch until now. I have an OCZ 700W I am waiting on an RMA for so I really hope I don't have to buy another PS.

So if anyone has ever had this ****ing blue light come on and they've solved this problem please let me know. Otherwise I will have to spend my Thursday night playing Frankenstein with a few PCs to solve this. (I've got to bring one of my work PCs home and I am not going back to the office tonight!)
schuey74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-07, 08:02 PM   #2
8800gtsfan
*BANNED*

Default Re: Asus P5B DX Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by schuey74
My PC is refusing to boot. There's an LED on the mobo that usually is red, but is now blue. According to the manual that means that the system is in sleep/soft-off mode. My question is....what the hell put my system into sleep/soft-off mode and how the hell do I get it back?!

Here's what I did. I came home from work and turned off the PC to dust it. A few bucks in compressed air later and I closed it up to turn it back on. After switching the power supply back on I noticed the blue instead of red light shining thru the fan holes. Pressed the power button and nothing happened - I mean absolutely nothing.....not a click, not a fan moving, nada.

Now here's what I've tried:

1. Resetting CMOS (jumper, remove battery, etc...)
2. Only connecting PS/2 Mouse and keyboard - no other peripherals
3. Different video card
4. Another power cable
5. Another Asus P5B DX Mobo

Obviously none of the above solved my problem or helped at all. I know with 100% certainty that the other mobo is fine since if both motherboards are lighting up blue then something other than the mobo is the problem. I can't imagine it being the CPU since it was watercooled and modestly overclocked (for a C2D, anyways). This leaves the power supply which is a one month old 600W Enermax which worked without a hitch until now. I have an OCZ 700W I am waiting on an RMA for so I really hope I don't have to buy another PS.

So if anyone has ever had this ****ing blue light come on and they've solved this problem please let me know. Otherwise I will have to spend my Thursday night playing Frankenstein with a few PCs to solve this. (I've got to bring one of my work PCs home and I am not going back to the office tonight!)

2 things left then - PSU or memory. Try pulling all your memory and see what happens?
8800gtsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-07, 08:10 PM   #3
schuey74
GTX 280 (675/1458/2500)

Default Re: Asus P5B DX Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8800gtsfan
2 things left then - PSU or memory. Try pulling all your memory and see what happens?
I forgot to mention that I tried both sticks of memory seperately so it's probably not the memory - tomorrow I will try two other sticks from another system though, just in case.

And yup, the power supply is what I need from my work system, which I will also check out tomorrow.

Since you have the same mobo, does yours ever have blue LED on instead of the red? I really can't remember ever seeing blue before, but I'm not sure.
schuey74 is offline   Reply With Quote