Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-02-02, 03:02 PM   #1
Sunni

Default NVIDIA driver doesn't install successfully on RH 7.3

Hi,

I have au AMD Athlon 1700+ System with an Aopen GeForce2 MX 400 64MB Video card, with RedHat 7.3, with kernel version vmlinux-2.4.18-5. After choosing, downloading the right driver for my system, it doesn't work.
I tried the rpms with the error message:
rpm -ihv NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2960.rh73up.athlon.rpm

Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
1:NVIDIA_kernel ########################################### [100%]
modprobe: Can't locate module NVdriver

NVdriver installed successfully

After installing GLX an editing the /etc/X11/xf86config-4 file the X server doesn't start anyway.

Have you any idea what it's wrong on my System??

regards,

sunni
Old 08-03-02, 07:56 AM   #2
BruceCadieux

Read the maunual at NVidias site for the linux drivers. There are specific instructions on installing the drivers into a custom or upgraded kernel.

You will need to use the src.rpm files, and rebuild the RPM's for your new kernel. Its is a pretty simple thing to do. Once you read how to do it.

I printed out the manual and keep it handy, there is a allot of good info about tweaking your cards settings in Linux.

Digital vibrance, anitaliasiing and allot of other goodies can be used.
Old 08-25-02, 09:49 PM   #3
vcrispo

Sunni - If you have the onboard NVidia video, then you will really have a hard time. I tried for three weeks trying all the rpms, tar balls and older nivdia drivers, doing mix and matches. Also tried the different Redhat Linux kernels. I installed Redhat 7.3 around 15-20 times.

Even nvidia wouldn't answer my emails when I told them I had the onboard video. I ended up using an older ATX PCI video card which worked just fine.

If you also have the onboard NIC and audio, the NVidia tar balls work just fine.

Best of Luck,
Vin
Old 08-28-02, 02:30 PM   #4
Sunni

Cool Success

Here is what I did, I hope it will help someone.

After I read, that the rpm's doesn't work on a newer kernel I have tryed the tar.gz files, but they didn't work too.

To a successfully installation the 'kernel soure' and the 'glibc-kernelheaders' must be installed on the System. Then it will work how the installing instructions describe.

Have a lot of fun...