Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-28-07, 03:29 PM   #13
jduv

Default Re: 680i + Linux

Just talked to Asus Tech support again. He blames it on the linux kernel, and refers me to linuxcompatibility.org. He claims that the linux kernel is always 4-5 months behind on supporting newer hardware, and that I should just wait until everything is updated.

All that may be true, but the hardware behind the 680i nics haven't changed much have they?
jduv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 03:39 PM   #14
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

The MCP55 NIC on 680i motherboards is fully supported in the forcedeth that ships with SuSE-10.2. There's no reason why this shouldn't work, other than the BIOS bug I mentioned earlier.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 06:59 PM   #15
jduv

Again, thanks so much for your help netllama. It seems that I am having a hard time convincing ASUS that the problem is in their BIOS. In addition, I have something new to report.

I booted into windows and signed on to a VPN to do some stuff for work. Everything works great. I rebooted into linux to go about my normal business, and now neither NIC will take an IP address. This is reproducible because I did the exact same thing the first time freshly installed both OS and both NIC's went out after that as well.

I have tried loading forcedeth by itself, with msi=0 msix=0, and ifup/ifdown/ifrenew until I am blue in the face.

I have turned the machine off, unplugged it, turned it back on: no success.

I have booted into Windows, connected to the vpn, disconnected, rebooted into linux: no success.

What the hell does windows do to your nic when you VPN? Anyone know a good hack that will keep me from reinstalling both my OS again?

I'm calling asus back to yell at them some more, and probably going to switch to an abit board. This is ridiculous.
Old 03-28-07, 07:07 PM   #16
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I'm afraid that I haven't used Windows on this motherboard, so I can't comment on what is happening.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 07:20 PM   #17
jduv

Angry Re: 680i + Linux

I would like for ASUS to confirm that this may be a problem. If I can get them to reproduce it in a dual boot system then we know we have a hardware, BIOS, or Forcedeth bug here.

The fact that when I bring up windows the NIC's are unusable seems to suggest that it's either a hardware problem or a BIOS bug.

I'm trying to find out what XP does to the nic (if anything) whenever you connect to a VPN. I think the answer to the problem is there. Does anyone know offhand? Also, how does the BIOS interface with the NICs?
Old 04-24-07, 11:14 PM   #18
jduv

Well, sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have some news.

ASUS has released two BIOS updates since I created this thread, and neither have claimed to fix the problem that I am having. During a fit of frustration, I installed Ubuntu Feisty on my machine. The result? I had network support! This leads me to believe that either Ubuntu has a newer version of forcedeth or the kernel that fixes my problem.

I am waiting for SuSE to follow suite with 10.3 ( hopefully =/ ). I'm now experiencing random lockups of the entire system. I originally believed them to be video related, but I have tried nearly everything listed on the "stability issues" sticky and I can't seem to fix it. Could the lockups be network related?