Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-02-07, 12:33 AM   #1
sansrage

Unhappy Help! Trying to run GeForee2 in Ubuntu on an older PS3.

Hey People! I've just gotten my old college computer back up and running and since M$ can't support Win98SE anymore I decided to go with Ubuntu Feisty. (I'm running a P3 500 mhz, 256MB ram, 12 gb hd, and a GeForce2 64MB)

When I first started with the Live CD, it wouldn't go beyond the black screen and not knowing much about Ubuntu after pulling my hair, I decided to pull the GeForce card out instead, and the CD loaded up just fine!! Now, everytime I decide to plug the card back in, I just get a black screen. I've installed the restricted pack from the application/add-remove and I've installed the nvidia-glx-legacy drivers from the add-remove too. after typing in the sudo commands like the description box for nVidia driver says, the terminal pauses for a few moments, and goes back to the empty line of text.
But I'm doing this all without the card in the PC....which isn't right, is it?

I've re-installed the GeForce2 and booted into recovery mode and inputted the commands to get/install nvidia legacy drivers.I then tried to modify the xorg.conf drivers to say "nvidia" instead of "nv" but I haven't even made it that far!! What "Device" line are they referring to? and does it need to carry throughout the xorg.conf? I'm so noob and stupid when it comes to this part. Instead of anything nVidia, the device section reads:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel Corporation 82810 PC-100 CGC [Chipset Graphics Controller]"
driver "i810"
Busid "PCI:0:1:0"
EndSection

What do I do? I'm pretty sure I need to install the GeForce2 card before installing (or uninstalling) the drivers again. But if the black screen pops up again, how do I get around it? Or what do I need to do after writing the xorg.conf?

I'm so freaking confused at this point. I'm just not following what I've been reading but I'm not ready to re-install Windows again.

Thanks!!
sansrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-07, 10:22 AM   #2
energyman76b

Default Re: Help! Trying to run GeForee2 in Ubuntu on an older PS3.

make it look like this:
Section "Device"
Identifier "6600"
Driver "nvidia"

you see - the part behind 'Driver' has to be changed from i810 to nvidia.

Also you have to do some other changes - but that is described in the README that comes with the driver.
energyman76b is offline   Reply With Quote