Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-16-07, 04:24 AM   #1
Dany_b

Default Unable to show an image on a xterm console

Hi everyone,

For a special application, I must to display an image through a purified (simple)graphic environement without window manager. For that, I create a file /home/my/.xsession and I open an xterm console like this:
#!/bin/bash
xterm -geometry 80x24+100+100.

Then, It's impossible to display any image.png / jpg or any other format with the following command into the xterm window:
"display image.jpg".
There is no image displayed, no error message, no log on /var/log/..., nothing.
I use an Nvidia card GeForce FX5200.

When I use another graphics card (like an Matrox G55) I not have any more this problem and I can display the image.

I run this on an Fedora Core 6 with the nvidia-linux-x86-1.0-9755 driver.

I must use this Nvidia card.

Do you have any idea for my problem, Is it an configuration problem, Nvidia driver problem...
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (118.1 KB, 110 views)
Dany_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 06:32 AM   #2
wnd
Nerd, Geek, Freak

Default Re: Unable to show an image on a xterm console

Ideas? Not really, but I'd start by checking if environment variable DISPLAY is set (correctly).

Try running "echo $DISPLAY" in xterm, this should print out something like ":0.0". You should be able to find out display ID by running "ps aux | sed '/bin\/X/ !d'".

E.g. on my system DISPLAY is set to ":0.0" and X has been started on display 0:
Code:
kikai:~% echo $DISPLAY
:0.0
kikai:~% ps aux | sed '/bin\/X/ !d'
root      4090  7.7  7.0 181724 144324 tty7    SLs+ Mar19 368:52 /usr/bin/X :0 -dpi 96 -audit 0 -auth /var/lib/gdm/:0.Xauth -nolisten tcp vt7
kikai:~%
If you have DISPLAY set correctly but running display won't do a thing (talking of which, does it time out after a few minutes?), try disabling X's access control with "xhost +".

Christianity, noun: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree. [mad.frog]
wnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-07, 02:00 AM   #3
Dany_b

Thanks for your idea. But my DISPLAY variable is correctly configured and it runs, the parameters are OK in the command ps -aux. It also is not a problem of access (xhost+).
Thanks a lot
I think that it is a problem of the Nvidia driver. Because when I put a Matrox graphics card with an other driver, I do not have problem anymore!!
Old 05-02-07, 01:36 AM   #4
Dany_b

Definitively there is a bug in the Nvidia driver . We change the Graphics card and use an Matrox .
Thanks
Old 05-02-07, 11:19 AM   #5
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Dany_b,
Sorry I forgot to reply to this. According to your log, you have both TwinView and dual X screens enabled. The driver is detecting two display devices connected and they're both used by screen 0, so nothing is left for screen 1. Do you actually have two displays connected? Does fixing your config file help?

What happens if you pass the "-geometry +0+0" option to display? Without that option, does it show up in the output of "xwininfo -root -tree" and if so, what is its reported geometry?
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote